TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dual snorkel air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

A 327 is not capable of sucking in enough air to benefit from more than one snorkel. It's a waste of time adding another snorkel in other words.

Same with most AMC engines.

That is simply an absurd statement

LOLLOLLOL

lol,
this made me laugh Clap

I like to think of FSJunkie as being here to play the part of the friendly curmudgeon,

maybe not the "You kids get out of my yard" type of 
curmudgeon,

but absolutley the "Things were better back in my day" type Big smile

I actually like and appreciate the angles he takes,
it's even better because I believe he's a fairly young man that may just have been born 30 years too late Clap

Either way, 
this is a small board, so I think by now most everyone who reads it knows where most of the people who post here are coming from.

BTW Ken,
if FS is the "Friendly Curmudgeon"
you're the "Go-to,  Figure Everything AMC Out" guy ClapStar

^if any of these coments are unwelcome by anyone,
I will happily delete my observations Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 11:03am
HA! I knew Fsjunkie was being a mixer, just made comment as a wee poke at some here will be quick to correct when needed. I don't mind the quick to the draw corrections, not that anyone here will be a troll. Just find them a nice addition to broaden the big picture.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 12:16pm
Thanks for the comments.  It's not a go fast car.  But, I've always liked the look of decent sized dual snorkels on an air breather.  I am going to have to find a good 287/327 round snorkel, the 327 4bbl has a slight oval to it and I like the round better.

If anyone has a 287/327 breather with a nice snorkel for sale, please shoot me a note.

Thanks

Edited by a075923 - Jan/16/2019 at 12:18pm
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 5:05pm
I built a dual snorkel for the 350 2 bbl I had in my 1970 GMC 4x4 back in the 80's. Last summer I built one for the 360 in my Javelin. I just like the look of a dual snorkel.  If you build one, post a photo when you are finished.
gcunard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcunard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2019 at 6:20am
If looking for cool factor, adapting hoses to fender wells as cool air sources may pay homage to the 60's drag racing look
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 6:17pm
Have the extra air cleaner and now working on the dual snorkel.  Thanks everyone!!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 7:01pm
Uh, no. I don't talk to entertain strangers.

I said what I did because I own two 327's with four barrel carburetors. One has a stock air cleaner with a single narrow snorkel and the other has a dual snorkel from a 1971 401. I feel no difference. I've swapped the air cleaners between them. I still feel no difference. I even have a third design of air cleaner for a 327: a big round thing that looks like an oil bath enough though it's not. Still runs the same. I've flipped the air cleaner lid like every teenage punk. Still runs the same but makes an awful noise.

So I speak from a practical perspective of actually doing it, and realizing it was a waste of time in terms of performance.

Of you want the look, that is fine. Go crazy. Just don't expect to open up a bunch of horspower with it. That's why I said what I did.

Edited by FSJunkie - Feb/16/2019 at 7:15pm
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Uh, no. I don't talk to entertain strangers.

I said what I did because I own two 327's with four barrel carburetors. One has a stock air cleaner with a single narrow snorkel and the other has a dual snorkel from a 1971 401. I feel no difference. I've swapped the air cleaners between them. I still feel no difference. I even have a third design of air cleaner for a 327: a big round thing that looks like an oil bath enough though it's not. Still runs the same. I've flipped the air cleaner lid like every teenage punk. Still runs the same but makes an awful noise.

So I speak from a practical perspective of actually doing it, and realizing it was a waste of time in terms of performance.

Of you want the look, that is fine. Go crazy. Just don't expect to open up a bunch of horspower with it. That's why I said what I did.

I hear you man! My 65 Riviera had 3x the opening of what AMC used for dual snorkel 71 air cleaners. Thr original owner drilled holes all around the base. At the time the car was exempt but being a recent purchase to get taged, i had to pass a visual inspection. Fail! Though having the untouched replacement installed and pass, no change in performance and economy.

Now the bug a boo, if romping around, the two snorkels actually allow some engine bay air to blend when the flapper opens. IMO, seal off the snorkels and remove the flapper, if you want to eek out 1 hp if any isvto be had.

My mod is similar to NASCAR, no air path direct from engine bay. Instead of cowl, the base will be sealed against the fiber glass induction hood will and no flapper. The most direct rout for clean and cooler air, wuth no blend what so ever.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
javelinkid View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:51am
Yep! It is the "cool" factor. I am making one for my '72 401 Javelin just because I like the way it looks.   
Shawn_Watson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn_Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 9:07am
These guys have some pretty cool stuff.  http://ramairbox.com/

Shawn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic