TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dual snorkel air cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dual snorkel air cleaner
    Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 6:51pm
Rambler ever use a dual intake air cleaner (pre-smog)?  Thinking of cutting several up to make one for my 327 with an Eldelbrock 4bbl.

Thanks
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 8:30pm
Not Rambler..but some Javelins did..
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 9:11pm
I'm going to guess the Javelins had some environmental pieces on them, but maybe not. 

Looking over the pieces I have, looks like I many need another air cleaner for a second snorkel.  What I have is a 287 that is really nice, the one on the 327 4bbl air cleaner looks like it has/or been modified to a slight oval, and a six cylinder one I have the snorkel is a little smaller than the 287/327 snorkels (I didn't measure them tonight though).

Thanks for the information.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2019 at 10:04pm
71 Javelin dual snorkel air cleaner, also available with a flapper lid if you had functional cowl induction.

I believe it belongs in the rocking horse poop category and is usually priced accordingly, fabricate away would be my suggestion.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 1:29am
A 327 is not capable of sucking in enough air to benefit from more than one snorkel. It's a waste of time adding another snorkel in other words.

Same with most AMC engines.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 2:18am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

A 327 is not capable of sucking in enough air to benefit from more than one snorkel. It's a waste of time adding another snorkel in other words.

Wash your mouth out, besides, it just has to look cool if nothing else.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 5:52am
Dual snorkels do have a "cool" factor.

Can you weld/braze?  In the '70's Ford products used a snorkel that attached to the air cleaner housing with two cap screws. They were rectangular/oval. Just a thought, but you could remove one [or two] of these snorkels, modify it [them] as you choose, and then MIG, TIG, or braze them to the original housing.
If you weld/braze it, it'll look "factory"...maybe not AMC factory, but "factory" nonetheless.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 6:49am

That is simply an absurd statement
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

That is simply an absurd statement

Ha! And I thought AMCenthusiast would catch that remark as fast, and toss it into the rubbish bin.

The absolute worst air cleaner setup on the AMC gen3 engines. It's the smallest inlet design. In fact I rather run a 70-71 304 air cleaner on any other 71 on up v8, as it has a larger opening.

Thus the reason for two snorkels for 401 with cowl induction. Though you could very well find no differences in power with one snorkel, as all the air is moved through the top, not the snorkel, when needed.

Edited by 304-dude - Jan/16/2019 at 7:45am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2019 at 8:55am
The facts of the matter:
- your engine produces vacuum
- carburetor uses the pressure differential from atmosphere to vacuum to provide the best fuel air mixture
- everything before the carburetor has to provide the least flow restriction possible for best engine performance, CFM at low pressure differential is abysmal with any restriction

An open horn with no filter would be the ultimate performance, but an engine without a filter is just not a good idea.
Dual snorkels, open filter, cowl induction - anything to free air flow before a naturally aspirated carburetor is good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic