TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dual Elect. Fan set up with Edelbrock CrossRam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Elect. Fan set up with Edelbrock CrossRam
    Posted: May/22/2018 at 12:57pm
I hope someone here may and will be able to help me.
I have a 1969 Javelin with 390.  I have totally rebuilt.  This has an Edelbrock Crossram with dual holleys.
I have put two electric fans on the radiator and am wiring the fans.  The kit comes with one relay (instructions are to wire the two fans together).  It comes with the thermostat for turning on the fans and is 3/8" fitting.  I have one water port in the manifold.  In the one port is a 1/8 or 1/4" sending unit for my water temp gauge (not idiot light). 
Question.  Can I use a tee for the temp sending unit for the gauge and expand it to the 3/8" for the fan unit?  Will the water flow adequately to give proper water temp?  Are there any ports on the heads that can be tapped into?
Suggestions?
Thanks for any help.
Mark
Hockey Man View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockey Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 2:22pm
Hi 5150Javelin I used a thermostat housing from a late model Jeep as it has a port at the back of the housing. Got it at summit number j3238509 hope this helps
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 6:16pm
On my 4.0 I used an adapter that goes in the top hose. I cut a chunk the size of the adapter from the hose, and drilled and tapped the part for my sender. Like this in your specific hose size:
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
2Busy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 7:11am
I bought a fan switch and relay kit on ebay. Had the same issue you are having. The late model Jeep housing does have a 3/8 NPT port and will accept the temperature switch. Worked great for me.
crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2018 at 9:20pm
I used a pipe for top radiator hose and welded a bung into it. 

5150Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 12:48am
Thank you 6768rogues.  I have put the Blue Stainless Flexible Radiator Hose on.  This would need additional cutting and adapters.  I am already worried about total water seal with this set up.  Seems a little micky to me but it has worked for others.  What do you think about tapping the stainless hose and screwing a fitting into the hose?   Thanks for the reply.
Mark
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 12:53am
Hi Cross Ram Ramber/   What a beautiful set up.  Mine looks like amateur time compared to yours.  Was your fuel line routed to the passenger side or did you to that?  Mine comes out just to left for the steering gear box.  What kind of pipe did you use and the rubber on the radiator?
Thanks 
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 1:08am
Hey Hockey Man.     Perfect solution.  I ordered on and it will be here in a week.  I can not thank you enough.  So much hassle averted.
Thanks again
Mark.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5150Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 1:09am
Hi 2Busy.  As I mentioned above. Perfect solution.  Thank you for taking the time to help me out.  Forum has come to my rescue. 
Thanks again, Mark
Hockey Man View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockey Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2018 at 8:30am
Hi Mark I'm glad that helped sounds like a great build. Been away Thank you Doug 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic