TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Driving Without Torque Links

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving Without Torque Links
    Posted: Jan/04/2017 at 4:24pm
Dumb question perhaps... is it OK to drive my AMX while the torque links are off the car?  I know the Javelins did not have them.  I just want to make sure there is nothing structurally different between the AMX and Javelin rear suspensions that might make this a problem.   I'm sending my torque links off to Ross Peterson to have new rubber bushings installed and might have occasion to drive the car before I get them back.
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2017 at 4:26pm
It won't hurt anything to drive it.  You might even like how it rides better without torque links

ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2017 at 4:46pm
The one difference is that Javelins have staggered shocks pretty early on, the AMX does not. Drive it!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2017 at 5:41pm
Cameron....no problem, I parted a number of AMX's that the torque links were missing from.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2017 at 6:51pm
Ok, thanks guys!  

Ross, it turns out that the bushings in mine are already rubber, not poly like I thought they were, so I won't need to send them to you after all.  I just sent you a PM about this.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2017 at 8:33am
The torque links do a bit more than just prevent the axle from twisting the leaf springs. WITH RUBBER BUSHINGS and correctly adjusted, they act a lot like a rear sway bar does. They resist leaning to one side, but don't transfer the force to the other side like a sway bar does. Resistance is through the rubber bushing, which is very much like a control arm bushing. Not as much roll resistance as a sway bar, but more than without them. That's why they have to be adjusted properly. I don't think they are tightened until there is weight on the rear axle... but I don't have a car with them and don't recall from memory the exact adjustment procedure.
Frank Swygert
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 12:51pm
per the service manual, you have to loosen up both sides at the axle and add weight to the trunk until you measure 6 11/16" from the frame rail to the axle tube.  It took 19 half-width concrete blocks to get the springs loaded to the right height for me on a 68 amx.  Once at the right height, tighten the adjustment bolts to 100 lbs.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic