TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Driveshaft removal - big nut rear end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driveshaft removal - big nut rear end
    Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 9:06am
I have a '65 American with the big nut rear end. I put in a 232 and am installing a T14. I need to remove the driveshaft to get it resized. When my kids and I pulled the 195.6 and T96, the front of the driveshaft dropped. But I need to disconnect the rear.

I went to Tom Jenning's web site and looked at big nut pictures. I also looked at the TSM.
http://www.worldpowersystems.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Big-nut/index.html

If I understand the pictures, I remove the big nut rear yoke by holding the driveshaft from turning using one 1 3/4 inch wrench and turning the nut so that it moves back towards the rear axle. Is that correct? (so would I be under the car on the driver's side pulling the wrench down?). Anything else I need to do? Car is on jack stands. Jack stands are under the rear axles, not on the body. Do I also need to support the center of the housing to relieve pressure?

If I leave the big nut alone I read that the rear yoke is attached to the drive shaft by a cap screw, lock washer and flat washer. I'm having a hard time visualizing how to remove that, and once I do - would I need to press it out.

So - big nut rear end. Car on stands. Two borrowed 1 3/4" combination wrenches in hand (thanks!!!!). What is the best way to remove the driveshaft so I can get it resized?

Edited by bruceg - Mar/29/2015 at 10:04am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 11:44am
I replied to Bruce in a private e-mail he sent, but will repeat here.

"If I leave the big nut alone I read that the rear yoke is attached to the drive shaft by a cap screw, lock washer and flat washer. "

That's true only on standard driveshafts, NOT the "big nut" shaft. The big nut is on tapered threads on the yoke, which also has two splits (cuts) in it. As the nut is tightened (moves toward the front) it tightens the taper down, gripping the splines on the pinion shaft. THAT is what holds the yoke on. Turning the nut back toward the rear axle loosens this pressure. You then drive the yoke off using a hammer and wood block. To reassemble there is a measurement from the center of a u-joint cap to the front of the axle. Drive the yoke to that measurement (3-3/16"?? Check a TSM!!) then tighten the nut to 200 ft/lbs. Hard to tighten or loosen the nut under the car on jack stands, easy if high up on a lift.

I always disassemble the u-joint under the car, with the axle on jackstands. If the axle hangs down the driveshaft moves forward and binds between axle and trans, and you can't take the joint apart. It's tough to drive the inner lock rings out (of the yoke ends, not the shaft) and get the caps out under the car, but not as tough as loosening and tightening that big nut!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2015 at 3:17pm
FARNA's got it -- i think! lol.

it's as he says, tapered inside, tightening the nut, it clamps the splined part. i couldn't remember if its nut-to-rear or the opposite to tighten! it is a standard right-hand thread. i bought a pair of wrenches from Amazon, "Fuller" brand, decent quality. i can go get the size if you need.

the rear gap/spacing is not critical, if i recall about 1/2" between the dust slinger and the pumpkin casting is "fine". the goal is: don't bottom the trans spline, don't have the driveshaft fall out. the latter is harder than you'd think, and requires everything to be worn out all at once to happen.

i cut a huge hole under the rear seat to get at the big nut with the pair of wrenches. WHY DIDNT I DO THIS 10 YEARS AGO. then fabbed a steel cover that sheet metal screws on.

without the hole, in your driveway, you really cannot get it tight. i'm really good at all sorts of trickery and it's a problem. but get it as tight as you can, then go get an oil change at a real shop, and do it when it's up on the lift! the rambler-friendly place i went to, when i explained the issue, found the idea so amusing they were enthusiastic about watching and helping.

it's not often you get to use wrenches that are comically big like that.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2015 at 6:43am
"the goal is: don't bottom the trans spline, don't have the driveshaft fall out. the latter is harder than you'd think, and requires everything to be worn out all at once to happen."

Oh no, it's MUCH easier than that! Don't get the big nut tight and the shaft will move forward and sling out. On my first Rambler I did that three times before I realized just how tight the nut needed to be!! You wouldn't think it could sling out, not unless you jump a railroad track or something, but I didn't get two miles with normal driving before it slung out the first time. Didn't think there was enough room between the trans and axle for it to come out. Got my brother to tow me home then put it back in by taking rear axle loose. Five miles later... again!! Nut even tighter... it lasted a week the third time. I was dating a girl who's dad had been a Rambler mechanic 20 years earlier. The problem came up when we asked about taking her mom's car to go out that weekend because I didn't want to get stranded with her, and wasn't sure it was gonna stay in that time. Mom insisted I take their new car instead of the older one, and GF was ticked off most of the night. She hadn't been allowed to drive the new car yet, and mom INSISTED I take it...  Ah, the memories!! I was 18, she was 16... 
Frank Swygert
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2015 at 11:01am

The big nut rear driveshaft yoke was never used with the big 232 six, but it can handle the power if it's installed correctly.  I know this from experience as I broke a few of those rear yokes years ago after transplanting a 232, until I realized that the nut needs to tighten down on the spline (it was loose and sliding when I got the car).  I believe I found a product called Loctite for splines or something like that, tightened it correctly, and my problems were over.  That yoke is rare and expensive today, you don't want to break it.

Ken D.
meposkot View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meposkot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 4:16pm
So, I hear this rear yoke is rare and expensive??

YEP! I learned that the hard way.

Is there any alternative yoke to install into this car to get it going again?

I just busted my pinion yoke right off on a test drive yesterday, and don't want to shell out $450 for a new one. Farna, Is there any other options short of an entire rear end replacement?

Thanks,

Patrick
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 7:04pm
Yeah, get a used yoke to replace yours. I may have one, but will be sometime next week before I can even look. I'm sure you can find one for under $100. Count the splines on the pinion shaft just to make sure, but I believe all 58-65 yokes interchange.

If you can't find a replacement then you have to change the rear axle out.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2015 at 8:53pm
Advertise your need for a yoke or craigslist.  It doesn't cost anything and anyone parting out a pre-67 American might be interested in getting rid of the part.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 8:15pm
I have a spare and plan a Ford rear.  If you are still in a bind in a couple months, PM me and I might be ready to sell it for a fair price. Smile
Ron Francis
Pokerchip View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokerchip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/17/2015 at 1:51am
Well I'm certainly happy I stumbled across this thread!

Last night the rear UJ in the driveshaft sheared, and it took the yoke with it. The UJ's were easy to find, but that yoke is almost impossible. I found them at American Parts Depot, but for $350 USD and the way the Aussie dollar is I am hoping I can find a replacement for less than that.

Is there any yokes from GM/Ford products that would interchange?
1962 Rambler American 400 Convertible

1967 Rambler American 440 Sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic