TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dougs D103 headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dougs D103 headers
    Posted: Jul/12/2019 at 2:52am
I'm considering putting a set of Dougs D103 headers on my 72 Javelin AMX . It's a 401 with a 904 automatic transmission . I'd like to hear how they fit from people that have installed them in 71 - 74 Javelins . Do they fit without hammering or denting them and how's the ground clearance ?
Best time 10.38, Best mph 128.73, Best 60ft 1.38
Purpleheart View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2019 at 10:28pm
I guess I'll just take my chances and order a set . I was really hoping to get some feedback from someone that's put a set of these on a 71 - 74 Javelin .
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 10:14am
I have the D103's on my '69 Javelin with a 5-Speed T5. I did need to do some work on the flanges to work with my Edelbrock heads and trim the motor mount on the passenger side. There is info elsewhere on the forum on that.

I would recommend getting a set of headers in bare steel and modify as needed.

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 2:36pm
Thanks , I'll modify the right bracket for clearance !
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2019 at 5:16pm
I haven’t seen him around lately, but I believe AMXTRA has a set on his humpster.  Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 12:15pm
The Doug's D103 headers have been delivered and they are the worst headers I've ever bought . They won't even bolt on because there's weld in one of the bolt holes and weld spatter that wasn't cleaned off before they put the ceramic coating on . The ports don't match up worth a crap . There's a bunch of spatter in the flange opening and in the tubes . I'll have to break out the die grinder just to get the headers to bolt on . It has the removeable pipe on the back passenger side that looks like it's gonna have an exhaust leak there . Has anyone had to weld the removeable pipe ? Don't buy these headers , they are junk .
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 1:27pm
Have you considered these headers?  They get great reviews. https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/amc/products/amc-amx-headers
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

Have you considered these headers?  They get great reviews. https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/amc/products/amc-amx-headers

Scott, I went to the above website you posted. They list AMC headers by: small body/large body/Ambassador.

How is an AMC owner to know what body size their car is? For instance is a 71 Javelin or a 69 Rebel a small body car or big body car? What size is a 68-70 AMX ? 
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purpleheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 3:50pm
On the right side header there's so much extra weld in one of the center bolt holes that I have to use my die grinder to put it on because I can't even get a 3/8 thread bolt through the hole
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 4:26pm
Small body is American, Hornet, Gremlin etc, large car is all the bigger cars including Javelin and AMX.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic