TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Doug's d103 headers fit amx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doug's d103 headers fit amx
    Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 7:28am
I am looking for a set of headers for my 68 AMX. I am swapping in a built 401 with Indy SR heads. Transmission will be a TKO 600 with hydraulic clutch. The Doug's D103 headers look like a great option, however after exhaustively reading previous posts it seems like some people said they fit great and other people talked about modifying the engine mount perches. Can anyone confirm if the 103s fit without mods?

Edited by cruxop - Dec/05/2018 at 7:33am
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by cruxop cruxop wrote:

I am looking for a set of headers for my 68 AMX. I am swapping in a built 401 with Indy SR heads. Transmission will be a TKO 600 with hydraulic clutch. The Doug's D103 headers look like a great option, however after exhaustively reading previous posts it seems like some people said they fit great and other people talked about modifying the engine mount perches. Can anyone confirm if the 103s fit without mods?

IMO,  there is need for mods to fit nicely. You can modify like Greyhounds_amx has, or go with the new header designs released late this year by American Racing. If I were to choose a off the shelf header, the long tube American Racing header would be my choice. 
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Jan Phersson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan Phersson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2018 at 11:16pm
The American Racing headers fit like a glove.
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 6:17am
Thanks all. Sounds like an easy choice then. Sucks I just missed the black friday sale though.
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 9:14am
Can't comment on dougs but hooker comp headers (7103) and ARP head bolts are not a fun time. Had to grind a decent amount of material off the flange and notch the bolt to seat. Would not recommend.
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2018 at 11:54am
I had to modify the engine mount for the Doug's D103 to fit.  They also hit the Transmission pan flange on a 727.  If I were to make the purchase today I would go with the American Racing.

Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
AMXrated View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXrated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2018 at 10:56am
Not sure about Doug's but I just received a set of Hedman headers and they have major interference with the ARP head bolts.  And here is a helpful hint:  Make sure your headers fit before putting your engine back in the car...
You can have my Hurst shifter when you pry it from my cold dead hand.
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 7:17am
Thanks all, I'll take the plunge into the american racing headers. Hoping they have a holiday sale around xmas to get a few bucks off and free shipping (just missed the black friday sale). Now i just need to decide between 1 3/4 and 1 7/8!
Lime Green 70 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lime Green 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 8:20am
the dougs headers I run are the 103's . they do require modding the motor mount and they also hit the flange on my 727 trans . there is a thread on here which shows the modification done to the mount by dennis who goes by the screen name the menace . if running the 727 just grind off some of the pan rail and stick a long pipe in the header and bend outward for clearance .
cruxop View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cruxop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 8:45am
I honestly don't get it. How do you design headers that don't even fit the stock motor mount. Is this because we are not using stock heads or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic