TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Doug's 70 AMX Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

That looks fine, I wouldnt worry about it.

Your front fenders look great,and it looks like they have actually never been off the car as you can see what looks to be the original factory braze where they meet the rocker panel, the passenger side probably was all dented up and thats the reason for the filler, since there is no rust on the bottoms and the drivers side condition is good.

Filler on the hood is probably due to dents underneath, not rust. Rear quarters are also good, 95% of the original body style lines are going to be able to be left on the car just some sections of repro panels need to be welded on since there is probably sheet metal patches and brazing under that filler.

The higher up patches of filler on the sail panels are probably covering up pounded out dents and not rust, given how rust free the rest of the car is.   Thats going to be straight forward stuff for a good body shop.

Thanks.  Your post makes me feel a little better!  Clap

I am still thinking it needs rear quarters and maybe a better right front fender?  There is some rust around the wheel wells on the rear quarters, just hard to see in the pics.
Dan390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 10:25pm
MOST people don't see bodywork properly, or understand what really goes into proper repair and bodywork, and then once a car is stripped they are shocked at how much worse it is than they thought, so don't be hard on yourself, this is a very common thing unfortunately.

Yours is not bad at all, I am a bit of a perfectionist so I personally would probably replace the lower quarters or if you have recently hit the lottery and have amazing parts sources I'd replace the whole quarters...but you can make due with lower patch panels easy enough.

I'm assuming they were rusted out based on the amount of filler, even if they put a patch in there previously it might also be rusting now, that's common too with older bodywork.

The thing you should be happy with, is you are doing it right, stripped it down and now you really know what you have and can get it fixed properly, THAT'S what will make a long lasting, great car for you to enjoy!
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 9:40am
Dan,

Appreciate the vote of confidence and your comments!

Doug
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 12:29pm
Also it looks like this is just the normal body work that would have been done on a repaint with some rust and dents, and the fact that the fenders are original(factory braze at rockers is still there) hood is original etc etc means that the car was probably never in an accident or hit hard. If it were doors hoods and fenders would have been replaced with NOS or non rusted or dented replacements and the filler would'nt be there most likely. All the major body lines are going to be original which is a big plus.
bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 6:47pm
If you need one I have a passenger fender I'd donate.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

If you need one I have a passenger fender I'd donate.

Thanks Earl, just sent you a PM.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 10:45pm
Looks good to me. The fender is an easy fix. Most AMXs and javelins have rust in the rear quarters so I wold have expected some damage there. The only concern I would have is the filler in the right quarter in front of the wheel. How bad is the damage under it. My cars right quarter had been side swiped, so so fixed and then rusted  when I started on it
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 7:59pm
Also found frame rot at front, where frame turns up into engine bay....................not sure how bad that is until we cut into it but as is the usual, the deeper we go, finding more work/money is needed!  
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2017 at 7:35pm
Went down to Reisinger's this morning and took new quarter panels down.  They have most of the bondo out that was left after soda blasting.  Not sure what happened to the top of the right front fender..............
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 8:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic