TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Doug's 1 3/4" Header Fit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doug's 1 3/4" Header Fit
    Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 8:01pm
Guys -

My setup is a 69 AMX with a 360 mated to a TF727.  Also using Edelbrock Heads.

I had Hooker Super Comps in the car originally and the fit was very tight, rubbing the passenger
side control arm box.

So, I bought Doug's 1 3/4" headers and the fit with the engine in the bay was excellent and they were tucked closer to the bottom of the car.

And this is where I have a new problem.  The headers are right up against the trans on the passenger side, and looks like the drivers side as well.  Not good since they are right up against the reusable Mopar pan gasket.  And then there's the heat....

I'm guessing since the Dougs Site indicates that it should fit with an auto trans, then it might be the Edelbrock heads.

I'm thinking I might try to put in a spacer between the headers and the head.  Otherwise, likely I'll have to go back to the Hooker headers....

Thanks.

Steve
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2015 at 11:15pm
 You can get away with a little push from a port a power to get some clearance. the first time I saw this it was done with a 6 foot bar with the car on a lift, worked like a charm. I have used the port a power method with great sucess to get the hookers off the oil pan (aviad) on a 69 amx.

DISCLAIMER go slowley and be gentel or at least as gentel as one can with a port a power
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 6:41am
Had the same issue with the Doug's headers and 727 trans. Since that car originally came with the Borg/Warner manual or auto the header would probably clear but the 727 has the kickout where the dipstick tube goes in.

I took the passenger side header to a welding shop and had them heat & bend the collector out a couple of inches. Then the tube was rubbing the frame rail so I gently flattened it there.

-Steve-

RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:14am
I did two things. I used a die grinder and took a little off the flange/pan at that point (right at the dipstick) and used a 6' bar stuck in the collector with the headers bolted on tight and was able to pull the passenger side out a little. It's not just the Eddy heads. I had the same problem with iron heads.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:17am
I have the same headers and 727 trans with factory heads and had to "massage" them around the pan... Hated to do it because of the ceramic coating. Next time I may get non coated, tweak to fit, then send out for coating. Live and learn.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 11:41am
Thanks for the replies.

I had them ceramic coated as well, but ran into issues getting the TF727 back together
after replacing seals, so I only knew about the modification needed to the engine mount.... 

Live and learn is right.

I'm going to try the porta-power route to push them away from the trans case/pan.  I know
someone who has a kit, so I can borrow it.

I double checked the fitment chart on the Dougs site and they do say that D103-R's should
fit 68-79 AMX/Javelin with 290-401.  Errr.. Right.    So, they should fit a 73 AMX with a 401 and
a TF727?  I don't think so....  Sounds like their fitment chart is a little over optmistic. 

Plus, these are dogleg ports.  How the heck do you get them to fit a 290?!! :)

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic