TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Door weatherstripping for 62 Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door weatherstripping for 62 Classic
    Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 4:26pm
Guys,  I am searching for door weatherstripping, especially the rubber moldings to pretty much match the window frame surround weatherstripping on the 62 Classic club car.  The lower door weatherstripping is in pretty good shape but I need the parts that goes around the upper door frame.  

There used to be a company in Long Beach that would produce weatherstripping to the the customer specifications but I can't find a listing for them now.  I ordered two separate 10-foot sections from Metro Molded parts that match somewhat, and I suppose I could modify one of these, but I am looking for something that matches the L-shaped profile of the original molding.    I hesitate to contact Blasers because of the potential exorbitant price even if they have it as an NOS part.

Anyone?

Joe

Edited by pacerman - Oct/23/2017 at 6:37pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 5:20pm
Is this the same as the Ambo?
Peter Stathes has the inner rubbers, not sure anyone has the outers. If they do, I'd like a set.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 6:57pm
Yes, I contacted Peter. Thanks.  I am ordering enough to do the upper parts of my doors where it is torn or missing.  I could use the outer seal too, but have not seen anything in the Metro Moulded Parts catalog that would work.  Joe
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2017 at 7:13am
There is no replacement for the outer seal. I've used stick-on universal type for my car. Helps, but those bodies have a good bit of wind noise at speeds over 45, can't be helped. I forget now whether I split an oval profile stick-on or put it on whole. I've done both in the past, just can't remember what's on my current car! Just get something about the right size from Lowe's/Home Depot/Etc. and try it. Not original or stock appearing, but hardly anyone will notice unless it's a concours competition car.
Frank Swygert
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 6:54pm
Anybody have any experience in installing the outer weatherstrips. I purchased an original set from Blaser. It looks like it is suppose to just slide into the outer groove on the aluminum window frame. Mine extrusion dose not  seem to want to go into the groove.
1962 rambler classic cross country wagon. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 7:44pm
I guess it's good to know that Blaser's has it but I bet it was not cheap. Let me ask:  Was it sold in bulk, like being cut off a large roll, or did it come as a kit?

As far as installation, I suggest you try using one of those plastic gasket tools that looks like a fat popsickle stick with a pointy end.  Harbor freight carries a cheap set of those I think.  You basically want to be able to seat one "flange" of the rubber into one side of the groove and then push the opposing side gently down into the opposing groove.  Of course I have not seen the replacement material you have so I have no idea if it is indeed correctly sized.  Good luck and let us know what works.  Joe
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2017 at 8:05pm
They are original. Said it was the last set he had. They are molded one piece for each window frame with different part numbers for each.
 I was kind of figuring that I would be able to use the old harbor fright plastic gasket remover and had them laid out for this weekends project. I will use the one with the smooth rounded edge so I hopefully  don't damage the weather strip. It certainly does not want to slide in the  grove by hand. Steve at Blaser told me to start on the right angle corner and work my way out. But like you said it will need to be pushed into the groove
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 7:14am
Yes, pushed in. Get some spray silicone (NOT WD-40!) and try lubing it up with that. The silicone should revitalize the rubber a bit too. Old rubber shrinks and hardens -- it might be a bear to get in!
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 8:22am
Gosh! Rocking horse poo!!

Another method might be to use some talcum powder.

But as Frank says, NOS rubber components 40+ years old, hmmm.
Good luck.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
tcmorgan View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2017 at 1:05pm
Just a little info for anyone trying to put the outer seals on these window frames.
After trying just about everything I can get my hands on. The best way to install these is two guys, one holding the frame ( I had them off the door) and guiding the extrusion into the Channel it gets pressed into on the frame. Use a screen tool ( that you use to press the bead of rubber In household screen repair) and apply a lot of pressure to it to make it go in. Also shot the channel with a little silicone before pressing it in. I had a real good screen tool with a plastic wheel on it. I think the cheap ones would break with the amount of pressure we applied to it,
I also replaced the soft flexible window channel which goes around the top and goes down the side of the door frame which Blaser has, it pops right in. Have to cut out the back in two spots so the mounting bolts for the frame will clear it.
   Replaced the steel window channel going down side next to the quarter windows. Removed and ground the rivets of where it attaches to the quarter window stainless. Installed the new channel using semi tublar rivets and a hand press for them. There is also two brackets that also had to be installed to the steel window channel with the same method.
Replaced the window channel rubber that the glass sits into the metal window operator channel. Sandblasted and painted the channel. Put the rubber in the channel and used soapy water on the glass and the rubber and slid it on the window ( two Guys again on that). Have to hold the leading edge of the rubber so it does not slide out of the channel as you are pushing it on. Used a rubber mallet to tap the last 3” on and seat it.

Parts
Steel window channel Blaser and other vendors
Soft window channel that pushes into the frame Blaser and other vendors
60-0059-83 Steele rubber products window to steel operator channel rubber(Very Close to original)
Original moulded outer weather strip
Left Front. 3461563
Right Front 3461562
Left Rear 3461567
Right Rear 3461566

The Car is 1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic