TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Door Hinges - AMX / Javelin - How to Re-Bush?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Hinges - AMX / Javelin - How to Re-Bush?
    Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 2:01am
My 1968 AMX 390 has some play in the two doors.  If you open the doors and lift up on the bottom outer edge of the door then I notice quite a bit of "play" and can lift up the door.

So I suspect that the door hinges are worn.  There is no movement on the door hinges where they mount to the body.  So the  movement is internal in the hinge.

Some Questions:

1)  Are the door hinges (upper and lower) rebuildable?

2) How hard is it to remove the door hinges?
    2a) Do I have to remove the front fenders to gain access to remove  them?

3) Who does door hinge rebuilding or how does one do this?  Are there some internal bushings or new door pins that need to be retrofitted?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in Advance Guys and Happy Holidays!
Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
Menace SS/AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Menace SS/AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 10:40am

1) The door hinges are rebuildable.

2) They are very easy to rebuild, and you don't need to remove the fender. I'v heard of people doing one at a time on the car but I just removed my doors when I did mine.

3) You can get the hinge pin and bushing kits from some of the AMC parts vendors like APD or American Perf. Etc.

Once you get into it it's pretty straight forward.
Cool
Dennis

Edited by Menace SS/AMX - Dec/14/2007 at 10:42am
My AMC Stable
1968 AMX (Craig Breedlove AMX600)
1969 SS/AMX Replica of(THE Big Menace)
1969 AMX 390,auto,Go Package    
1970 AMX 390, 4 speed
1970 Javelin 401(Big Bad Red)
1968 AMX (FOR SALE)
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 10:48am
I just buy bigger pins and bushings from the Help section at my auto parts stores. I just redrill the hinges for the larger parts and lube them up really good with lithiom grease when I reinstall the pins. Be very carefull when drilling the holes since they need to be a tight fit or the bushings will rotate instead of the pins. AMC pins and bushings are hard to find and certianally not a stock items at your local parts house.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 11:55am
The hinge pins on my AMX were completely seized in place and could not be driven out as can usually be done. We had to actually cut then into sections with a sawsall, right through the hinge! I really had nothing to lose but luckily we didn't ruin the hinges doing this. The new pins from APD were too long and had to be shortened but otherwise work fine. Keep them well lubed as mentioned after rebuilding!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 12:25pm
I've had new AMC Pins and Bushings for way too many years.
What is the "secret" of getting the old pins out ?
A SawsAll you say Ohio AMX ?  wow.  Is there no other way ?
Plus, if the doors have been "re-aligned" to close with the worn out hinges,
I bet it's a whole lotta fun to re-align them again after the new pins/bushings,
meaning they would then need "lowered down" since they no longer sag.

Vendors used to sell complete re-bushed hinges on an exchange basis.
I have a complete set of new AMC pins and bushings I've been to chicken to use.
Sure would be nice if I knew someone experience in replacing them I could have do it.
Moni-Moni is too far across the country from O-high-O.

So I too wonder, if one decides to do it with hinges removed, do fenders need taken off to remove hinges ?

Very good question.  Great topic for "How-To" section with pictures.

Cool

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Dec/14/2007 at 3:03pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 2:27pm
I think the secret is to read some "how to" articles on the web about rebushing hinges, get the right parts.  Pre and post 1976/77 hinge pins and bushings are available from the AMC vendors as stated above and also (at least the 1977-later parts are available at your Jeep dealer.  Earlier style may be too, but I have purchased from AMC vendors most recently.  Normally, the hinge pins don't wear enough to require replacement.  It's the soft bushings that experience the wear. 
After you read up on it, get someone to help you and you can remove the doors with hinges by using a hammer and pin punch.  Frozen pin problems are mentioned above, but I've never experienced that here in CA.   If you're working by yourself (and I've done this a couple of times single handedly) a engine hoist comes in handy for holding the door at least on a sedan.  You can loop a padded chain or rope through the window opening to support the door while removing the hinge pins.  A floor jack with padding on the bottom of the door would work too, especially on a Javelin or other hardtop. 
Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
12Gauge View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12Gauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2007 at 11:59pm
Ok... let me understand....

The easy part seems to be that each hinge has a "pin" and perhaps one or two bushings.  It is the bushings that tend to wear out.

New bushings and pins can be found from some AMC parts vendors.

Additionally there are some vendors that sell rebuilt hinges all ready to go.

Now...

Questions: 

Are the bolts that hold the hinges to the body going into tapped threaded holes or are there nuts and washers behind?

What is the adjustment method for up down in and out?

Art In Connecticut

Nothing Lasts Forever... If you give it enough TIME

1968 AMX 390 4-Speed

1991 ERA Cobra Replica - 428 & Toploader

2016 Tesla P90D with Ludicrous Mode

2011 Volvo XC60
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2007 at 12:41am
My experience this summer/fall was that the major vendors were out of pins for '69 AMX and I didn't hear anybody offer already rebuilt hinges.  My pins were too rough to use because of rust...I managed to scrape together some good used ones.  Bushings are abundant. 

C
Hal Souers
Indiana
AMO Classified Editor

<font color=RED>In search of red Matador Barcelona sedan in EXCELLENT condition! [/COLOR]
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2007 at 12:53am
I've never done hinge pins on a AMC, but i've probably done a hundred other cars, and usually by myself.
I usually use a large garage jack with pads, with the door fully open jack the door at the balance point, put the window down and tie the window frame to the upright jack handle, this will work better with a large garage jack because you need all that weight to support the door with out any help from you, if the hinge pins haven't enlarged the hole just knock them out with a long punch, or i've got a old Mustang strut bar that I put on the pin point horizontal and hit it with a hammer a few inches away, no danger to the paintwork. Do 1 pin at a time of course. 
If the pins are worn to the point that they've begun to enlarge the holes in the hinges, you'll have to take the entire hinge off. Mark the hinge base position on the door and a-pillar then just unbolt them from both. Once you've unbolted the hinge from the door you can move the door out of the way and easily get to the bolts on the a-pillar. Weld up the hole and drill it out to the correct size, you have to be exact with the hole position, the pin holes have to be aligned, and the hinge pins have to be aligned with each other also or the door will bind and be a problem to close and align with body lines.
When you reinstall the door it will probably be  necessary to realign the door striker.The hinge bolts on the a-pillar can be used to move the entire door up and down or for and aft when moved togetheror, or will move the rear door at the b-pillar up and down when moved independentally.
The hinge bolts on the door can also move the door up and down or move the door in and out.
The door bolts thread into caged plates inside the door and a-pillar unless someone stripped the plates at some point and put a bolt inside. Some times the bushings require a enlaged hole, if they do it's usually easier to just take the whole door off so you can get at the pin holes straight.

Edited by tyrodtom - Dec/15/2007 at 12:58am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2007 at 1:00am
The pins on my Javelin were also wore out so using new pins and bushings was a no brainer. If you reuse rough or damaged pins, the brass bushings won't last long. You need to unbolt the door to get to the bolts that hold the hinges to the body. You do not have to remove the fenders though. You will want to mark thier location before removing them since there is a lot of play in the bolts when you lossen them. This will make adjusting the door tougher later if the body mounted portion of the hinge has moved. The bolts go into a floating captured metal plate behind larger body holes. There are no nuts to hold. The plate will move around when you remove the bolts, but will not fall out. You will have the same setup on the door side. I have never knocked out the pins with the door still attached to the car since without the proper drift to push the pins out, you will probably damage the paint around the door opening when your hammer slips. The last set I fixed, I used a padded jack under to door and used sinche straps to hold the top of the door to my garage door track above. I have seen a hinge pin removal tool that can be used with the door still attached, but I don't know where you can get one. It looks like a small C clamp that pushes the pin out as you turn the screw. I have only seen a picture of one.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic