TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Door Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Door Adjustment
    Posted: Aug/18/2007 at 2:50pm
On my 69 AMX, the passinger side door is sticking past the rocker panel about a quarter inch on the back bottom edge, so when looking at the passinger side of the car you can see the bottom edge of the door. Anyone here know the procedure to correcting this? any input
would be appreaciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Dave J. - Aug/18/2007 at 2:51pm
Dave...
"69 AMX" Go-Pak
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2007 at 4:03pm
You might want to Google "car (or automobile) door adjustment" and read some of the references that inevitably will pop up.  Someone with more experience than me will probably chime in here. 

I have heard (and have attempted this myself) that you can close the door against a piece of wood like a 2 x 4 in the upper part of the door and push on the lower part of the door to twist it back into place.  If I were doing this I would do it carefully and try to bring the door into position in small increments until I got it right.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2007 at 5:24pm
Sounds like the door hinge pins and / or bronze bushings are worn out allowing the door to sag.  As a "bootleg" method an 8 foot 2x4 can be used.  Open door about 1 or 2 feet, use 2x4 as a pry bar, laying one end on the sill plate / threshold, coming out towards you under the bottom of the door and use it to pry up on the door to re-align it. Yeah, it's scary and bootleg.  Aligning door by actually bending sheetmetal where hinges are attached to it.  Be careful after adjusting, as top edge of window which will now also be higher up and hit trim etc, may now need re-adjusted to hit the rubber seal correctly.  Maybe roll window down before adjusting and clossing the door.  Vendors sell door hinge pins and bushings, they're a bear to get out and re-install.   Vendors also selll re-built hinge assemblies, usually on an exchange basis.
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2007 at 9:06pm
Sounds to me like your door has the typical AMX/Javelin twist to it. It's usually caused by closing the door with the window open. When ever anyone closes the door with the window open they grab the top of the door and slam which eventually causes the door to twist. The leading edge of the door will line up nicely but the trailing edge will be tight at the top and slightly open at the bottom. There is a special tool that you can buy that will twist the door back into shape but you can use a 2 X 4 or a piece of pipe and a chain to get the effect. I made a tool that has a 3' chain and a plate on the end with a 4' pipe with another plate attached to the end of the pipe. The way it works is to insert the plate (attached to the chain) inside the lower back corner of the door (with the door panel off) and attach it to the bar or 2 X 4 and put the bar or 2X4 up against the inside of the door towards the top. Now gently lift the bar or 2X4. This will twist the door back. Take your time and check the progress as to not twist it back too far. It is pretty easy and woorks very well.
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 12:55am
71SC360,  I think I see what you're describing in my minds eye...do you have a photo you could share?   I have some doors that are going to need this encouragement and your system sounds great.  Thanks!  Craven

Edited by Craven - Aug/19/2007 at 12:56am
Dave J. View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 2:21am
Thanks for all of your input everyone.
71SC360 your method sounds like the ticket!
I am going to give that a try.
Dave...
"69 AMX" Go-Pak
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 5:34pm
I mis-understood, thought door was sagging, but now I understand that rather it was sticking out.   Will have to remeber that the doors can also be twisted as well as "raised".
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 11:15pm
Hinge pins and bushings should be checked and/or replaced before any adjustments.
Funny, I've not seen a used car with that issue that didn't come that way, and I've seen TWO brand-spanking-new fresh from the factory cars with that issue. One so bad you could hear the road noise between the bottom of the door and the car. Sounded like the door was open.
My 68 got the driver door closed that way all the time and never suffered such a fate. And it left the family with over 125,000 miles on it.
Must be the right combination of events and circumstances........
Of course, if you need to "slam" the door, there's a problem there. My 70 doors close and latch with just a nudge, and sound "solid".
So I guess before you try his trick, I'd suggest making sure all is mechanically sound and adjusted otherwise!
I'd love to see a photo of someone making such an adjustment. Even if just a mock-up for demonstration. That's one to write down.
They can be twisted and bent, too! I've seen some weird body panel distortions, some make you ask "how the !#$$ did they do THAT?!"
I saw one door that was bowed out at the bottom, like it had been closed with a 4x4 in the door. That was also a factory deal! It was even at the front and back, but you could stick your hand up under the door in the middle. It was shipped that way, and was an AMC......

Edited by billd - Aug/19/2007 at 11:18pm
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2007 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Hinge pins and bushings should be checked and/or replaced before any adjustments.

Definitely check and or replace the pins and bushings. I would also check the striker. Sorry, I don't have any pix of the bar that I use.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2007 at 12:10am
Yes, mine had only 25,000 miles and we replaced the pins and bushings, there was visible wear!
The strikers are perfect. The painter said he had the doors adjusted as good as they'd go, but the driver door nearly touched at the bottom, so I spent another 15 minutes and now it lines up as perfectly as any AMC I've ever seen. And both close like a new car. But I adjusted everything, every angle and took a lot of time to make sure the doors fit well.

Now if I could only get the windows to work that well!  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic