TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > In Memoriam
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dom Jiardine "Mr. Prototype"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcprototype Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dom Jiardine "Mr. Prototype"
    Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 2:58pm
Just wanted to let the AMC community know that my Uncle Dom Jiardine has passed away last night at his nursing home in Colorado Springs, CO.  

He was known for the 1966 Amx Prototype that he aquired from Amc, as well as many of the cars he customized and collected throughout the years.   Dom always had a story to tell, and always had a smile on his face!
I am going to miss him dearly, but the memories we had will keep his spirit alive! A memorial is being planned out in Colorado springs and details will follow.

Justin Hagerty
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 3:54pm
Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

I had a chance to meet Dom at the Rambler Ranch once.  Neat guy who loved to talk cars.  Bought a copy of the pencil drawing at the 2007 AMO show, had a pic of him with it.  Have it framed in my rec room.  Cry

Bob
tufcj

Cry
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/08/2012 at 5:56pm
sorry for your loss

RIP Dom
1969 BASE JAV View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969 BASE JAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 5:19pm
Met Dom many years ago when he lived in Kenosha.  Dom was not only a car guy, but more importantly was a great person.  He always complimented what ever AMC my brother and I would take over to his home , no matter what condition it was in.  Not many of the older AMC guys in Kenosha  took time to help out two 16  year old kids. Thanks, DOM.    Mike Knapp.

Edited by 1969 BASE JAV - Jul/09/2012 at 5:21pm
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 5:40pm
RIP Dom. My condolences to the Jiardine Family

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
austinhag View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinhag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 8:43pm
Thanks everyone for the positive comments and memories of Dom.  I'm another one of his great-nephews.  Below is the obit we plan to publish in the Kenosha News.
"Domenick Daniel Jiardine, Jr., well-known, former resident of Kenosha, died July 7, 2012 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.  He was born November 5, 1928 in Kenosha, Wisconsin to Rose (Caputo) and Domenick Jiardine, Sr. He worked for Nash and later American Motors, retiring in 1981. His first wife, Rita Ann Dumbrowski, whom he married November 27, 1961, died in 1984. He married his second wife, Joan Margaret Berndt, on July 27, 1985. She survives.

Domenick was a talented folk artist working in a variety of media and was featured in newspapers throughout the country for his work. He also made regular appearances in local newspapers for his car collection.  A true auto aficionado, he was known around town for his interesting collection which included Cords, Nashs, an Excalibur, a Javelin that he hand made out of wood, a modified 1939 Ford, a rare 1936 Nash, a chopped Pacer and many other notable vehicles.  The most prized car in his collection, however, was a 1966 AMX prototype which he acquired in a remarkable manner that has become a part of Kenosha history. 

In 1971 Domenick, a plant worker at the time, approached the president of American Motors, William Luneberg, while Luneberg was touring the facility. Domenick asked him if he could purchase the prototype, which was sitting in a lot adjacent to the proving grounds. Luneberg replied that he would look into it and respond within a week.  A few days later, Domenick was called to the office during his shift and told the car was his for $50.  His acquisition of the car through such an unconventional means caused quite a stir in Kenosha and the American Motors community. Many individuals involved in the design and engineering of the prototype had long desired the car and the fact that a plant worker obtained it caused much controversy. Nevertheless, the car was a perfect match for Domenick and it came to embody his uniqueness and colorful personality. He was truly one-of-a-kind.

Most important of all, Domenick had a heart of gold and brightened the lives of those around him.  Always quick with a joke or a smile, he endeared himself to everyone he met. A witty story teller, he loved to sit and entertain friends and family with tales of his youth and, of course, his cars.  His brother, Joe Jiardine, was also his best friend and constant companion.  They grew up together and were never apart for long. Though he had no children of his own, he had two nieces, Dawn and Susan, whom he cherished as if they were his own daughters.

In 1995, Domenick and Joan fulfilled a longtime dream and retired to Colorado Springs, Colorado. They made a comfortable home, entertaining many friends and family and enjoying their retirement in the beauty of Colorado.

Domenick passed away in peace Saturday night with his brother, Joe, and niece, Dawn, at his side. He will be missed by many.

He is survived by: his wife, Joan Jiardine, Colorado Springs; his brother, Joe Jiardine, Colorado Springs; two nieces Dawn (Lee) Hagerty and Susan Steinbeck, both of Arizona; three great-nephews and three great-nieces.

A private service will be held in Colorado Springs later this week.

The 1966 AMX prototype he acquired, now owned by family, will be shown later this year at an exhibit on prototypes at the Kenosha History Center. A memorial event commemorating his life will be held at that time as well."

Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2012 at 11:33pm
After an AMC show in Kenosha ( about 20 years ago) a friend said he was going to go over to Dom Jiardine house and asked if I would like to go. I had no idea who he was but told me he was the gentleman who owned the prototype AMX. I immediately said yes, as I wanted to see the car. What I wasn't expecting was to be come friends with Dom. We talked a lot that night and many other times. I owned my own repair shop in Milwaukee and we often talked on the phone just to BS about cars and AMC's. Dom made me up a couple of poster size photo prints of the AMX and I have those in my collection. I also got a pic of the Chop top pacer.

While I worked many hours at that shop and didn't have the time to do all things I wanted to do and I will never forget my biggest Mistake. Dom told me to come down some time and we would go for a ride in the AMX. Dummy me, I just never made that time. When I finally gave up that shop I decided to go see Dom one day, but even before I got that chance I found out that Dom had moved. Wow..I missed out on a chance of a life time.

I often thought of Dom and asked people if they knew how he was doing. I hope he was going to show up at the AMO show in Denver a few years ago and they said he might have been feeling under the weather that day. I will truly miss Dom he was a great guy and great friend.

Sorry for your loss..and the rest of lost a great car guy..

RIP Dom.

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
austinhag View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinhag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2012 at 1:30pm
Below is a link to Dom's obit in the Kenosha News:
http://www.kenoshanews.com/obits/404574349_404574349. - http://www.kenoshanews.com/obits/404574349_404574349.html
Zioamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zioamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 12:06pm
I worked with Dom at the Motor I would go up were he worked across the street upstairs and we would BS for the half hour. one day i went over to visit him and we took the X out for a ride then out of the blue he said you what to drive it i said sure that was pretty cool i still kick myself for not getting out there to visit with him in Colorado what a Great guy and what a great Laugh always made me laugh thats for sure ... He will be Missed ....David
      .....1969 Sc/Rambler....
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2012 at 4:57pm
Sorry to hear of Dom passing. I have fond memories of Dom and the prototype in Kenosha. LRDaum

< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic