TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Do I need an Ignition Control Module?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do I need an Ignition Control Module?
    Posted: May/17/2019 at 5:38pm
Hi all, 

I've just bought a 1975 Hornet X hatchback 304 V8 and it's running rough and threatening to stall when driving. Limped it home a few days ago and have been trying to diagnose the problem. 

I've been advised to replace the Ignition Control Module so I bought one (Standard LX401 - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/standard-ignition-5753/ignition---tune-up-16776/ignition-module-control-unit-ignitor-12521/e281cd9fff15/standard-ignition-5-terminal-ignition-control-module/lx401/5812529). 

The color of the wires are different from the original (wish I could upload a photo but I can't). The original module has yellow, black, green, and orange wires, and the new module has yellow, green, white, black and blue wires. Not only that but it seems I have electronic ignition (looks like a Pertronix distributor) and most of the wires from the original Ignition Control Module weren't attached anyway - only the yellow one via the starter relay and I think the starter solenoid (both although screwed to the inside of the RH fender) and on to the coil.

So my question is a/ do I need this Ignition Control Module with an electronic ignition setup?
and b/ if so how should I wire it up?

Thanks in advance.    

icecalm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 6:01pm
Well it seems no one knows the answer but I've done some research and so will post my findings in case anyone has the same question in the future. 
With one single yellow wire connected, the Ignition Control Module wasn't doing anything anyway. That and the fact that the modern electronic ignition setup is now doing its job the module is rendered obsolete so I've removed it. 
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 8:10pm
Rusty fuel tank is always a possibility.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2019 at 6:08am
As you noted, with the Pertronix distributor you no longer need the factory ignition module. You might have a weak spark from a going bad module inside the distributor, but I'd check other things first. You mention running rough when driving -- does it idle smoothly or is the idle rough as well? I assume you're using a mechanical fuel pump (bolted to engine)? Pull the coil wire and then pull the line from the carb. Spin the motor over and see if you're getting a steady stream of fuel from the line. It won't turn as fast as driving, but at least that will determine you're getting gas. Pull a couple plugs and look at them... burning good? They should be a dry light brown or tan color, a little to the gray side if it's running a bit rich (not uncommon for a carb at low speeds, but should be adjusted a bit leaner if gray). 

See

If you're not getting enough fuel the plugs should read lean (blistered/white/burned tips). Then you might have a fuel delivery problem. Rust in tank could be interfering with the carb -- pull the top off the carb and look in the float bowl for trash. If that's the case clean it out and install a filter. You could have an existing filter that is clogged. There is also a filter on the end of the pickup tube in the tank that can be clogged.
Frank Swygert
icecalm View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icecalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 4:11pm
Hi Frank, many thanks for your reply. i think you're right - I replaced the spark plugs and they were slightly gray, indicating it could be running a bit rich. Also replacing them all seems to have solved the spluttering problem. I couldn't tell if it was happening at idle, but when you held the revs higher it was definitely noticeable before I swapped the plugs. 

I have a Carter AFB 4 barrel carb on the car with a glass bowl so it's pretty old. 

I have a new mechanical fuel pump ready to go in and a filter also.

I'll keep monitoring it but I think the carb could use tuning, if not rebuilding anyway. If the problem persists I'll also have the fuel tank flushed...

The car hasn't been used much in the last ten years or so so I've been preparing it for daily use.

Thanks again, I think it could be running a bit rich.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic