TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Do all 195.6 heads interchange?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do all 195.6 heads interchange?
    Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 1:38pm
Tried searching for this with no luck. 

Found a spare head and want to make sure it’ll fit my car before I buy it. It’s for the cast iron ohv engine

Edited by SuperWagon - Jun/27/2019 at 1:40pm
1958 Rambler Cross Country Super wagon. 196ci cast iron engine with 3 speed manual
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 3:21pm
They should if they are from a cast iron engine. It's possible that a '65 head won't have the tapped hole for the oil line to the remote filter that the earlier engines use. Maybe someone with an actual '65 head can take a look at that.
(Head for the aluminum block is iron, but very different.)

All iron blocks do not interchange, however. '63 and up Classic and '64 and up American require the newer block with the cast bosses for engine mounts.

Edited by ramblinrev - Jun/27/2019 at 4:23pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 4:34pm
Have it tested for cracks before you buy it.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2019 at 11:35pm
there is a very high chance of 195.6 OHV heads being cracked; it's worth the money to check.

the head oiling/filtering differences are all in the block, not the head. old blocks have only main gallery oil source, the later blocks -- as long as it has a later camshaft that matches -- has a 'timed oil port' about 2 inches above the frontmost mail gallery oil tap that feeds the head.

i'm running full gallery oil on mine.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

SuperWagon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperWagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 2:32pm
Well I scored an NOS head in the factory box. I would post pics but I can’t use my photobucket anymore
1958 Rambler Cross Country Super wagon. 196ci cast iron engine with 3 speed manual
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 5:56pm
don’t crack it😉 no, that’s cool to score a gem like that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic