TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

DIY Dash Pad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Dash Pad
    Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 5:52pm
Wondering if anybody has had a go at making a dash pad for a Hornet/Gremlin from scratch. Min is petty sad and fining a good used one these days is nigh on impossible.

I'm thinking if you used the surfboard process and shaped the core from EPS then coated it with fiberglass, it should work?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 7:08pm
Well, my 71 Javelin crash pad is extra crispy, and I have done a fairly good job with sorting out and repairing all the damage (cracked areas and missing broken off ABS sections), ABS heat distortion, vinyl shrinking, cracking and deforming.

ABS can be heated by map gas to reform. Just be methodical and not to overheat. If ABS is cracked or brittle, heat will shrink at the cracked areas.

To hold down peeled away and deformed vinyl, 3M weather seal and gasket adhesive will keep it held in place with clamping over night.

I reinforced broken areas with liquid nails all purpose adhesive. It is formable as it dries, and creates a firm secure reinforcement, that is not brittle. It will shrink as it dries.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 7:42pm
I have not had the time to try this but my goal is to eventually try this on a Rogue crash pad.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1865940-DIY-Cracked-Dashboard-Repair-Pic-Heavy
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 11:53pm
In my case, the whole structure is in pretty basd shape, not just the vinyl cover.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 2:14pm
This guy has a nice dash pad and other interior parts for sale. I'm hitting him up for the sun visors. 

https://racine.craigslist.org/pts/d/1976-amc-gremlin-parts/6356950019.html

Gremmy Power!!!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 7:13pm
Nice find, getting those sort of parts to Australia is the problem.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 9:22pm
I think that's a good creative idea Red. -shape the styrofoam and put a fiberglass shell on it

If anything you'd have something to re-wrap with vinyl.

Even balsa wood would be light and easy to shape and would hold it's shape with through-bolts?

Balsa wood is still safe to use because it's soft enough to withstand an impact? (guessing though...never tried it!)

...balsa wood would take staples for the vinyl to be wrapped on and stapled from behind -wrap foam   over spray glued core first? ...foam seems to work good under stretched vinyl to help avoid wrinkles ...get the vinyl nice and warm prior to stretching it over the item to be upholstered (whatever core material you decided to use)

I think a motorcycle shop might know where to find an upholsterer (about the same amount of work to recover with vinyl in my estimation)

In USA there is a place called "Just Dashes" and that's all they do (hey whatta ya know) -not sure how they do it but the dash pad appears to have an all new faux leather molded plastic/vinyl afterward... maybe/probably worth the cost for someone who has a car worthy to restore back to like new condition ...www.justdashes.com

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2017 at 9:27pm
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I've rewrapped dash pads with vinyl and used a pneumatic stapler -the stock AMC plastic subframe behind the pad took the staples just fine no problem... sometimes, depending on how bad of course, the original soft cover can be made warm enough to restretch and staple from behind to hold it ...how to say it right...I was able to re-stretch and staple a '70 Javelin crash pad and that worked out just fine... similar construction to Grem/Hornet

...warming the vinyl to be stretched really helps a lot, same goes for installing vinyl headliners (AMC Metropolitan -warm day make all the difference, cold weather never mind stretchy vinyl material won't work right/won't be 'taut' in warm weather...

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/24/2017 at 9:34pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 9:12pm
I have more than a few extra dash pads for Hornet/Gremlin/Sportabout. A few for Concord/Eagle. Good shape. Extra due to buying cars with Tan interior but switching to black.

Thought about that for repairing a dash pad for 63/64 classic. It has the textured look so I would probally have it still looking patched. Some of that foam can get pretty hard, could shape it into whatever you wanted.

That BMW dash turned out nice.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic