TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Distributor Drive and ZDDP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Drive and ZDDP
    Posted: Oct/22/2018 at 5:54pm
Took the distributor out of my AMX's 401 and found this:

Been running Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic, wondering if a ZDDP additive would have prevented this.

-Steve-

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 12:23am
ZDDP doesn't do anything to help distributor gears. There is not enough pressure present where the gear teeth mesh to activate the Zinc and Phosphorus.

Gear failure like that is usually caused by not verifying the oil path to the distributor drive gear or a timing cover that is misaligned or manufactured poorly. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 6:18am
I verified the oiling by using a modified timing cover and running the oil pump with a drill. I'm certain there was no problem there.

Funny thing, every time I came back from racing the car wouldn't idle right. Noticed the timing had retarded a bit so I'd bump it back up. Clearly this is due to the wearing distributor gear. Appears this problem was accelerated by high-rpm use at the track.

I'm going to see my engine builder this afternoon and see if he's got some insight.

-Steve-
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 6:46am
With that much track time you will likely want a bronze gear or composite and be changing it every year, have a read:
I believe our gears are the same profile and dimensions as Ford's so a replacement for your purposes should not be that difficult. Just a PITA.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 10:41am
What a bummer... sure you've seen all the discussions about'em...
Obvious question(s), what Distributor and what brand of gears ? OEM AMC ?
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 12:55pm
Steve, could you measure the side to side clearance at the lower bushing of the distributor? 

I'm wondering if some of the gear wear issues we see could be related to lower bushing wear allowing the gear to move out of the correct relationship with the cam gear.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 2:54pm
If you take a good look at Steve's gear picture you can do some analysis just as you could a differential gear set.
There is no root wear and the worn area is were it would be expected, a lot of it mind you.
You can see were the cam gear must be sitting by the curve and it's slightly high but well within tolerance for acceleration.
The most wear seems to be on the "acceleration face" of the gear.
You can also see deceleration wear but more so at the bottom of the gear so the end play of the distributor is a bit excessive.
The gear is either not getting enough lubrication or just plane worn out from abuse.
From Steve's description of use I'd tend to think it's abuse. The ZDDP of the oil is adequate for street use. This use I would think needs a race oil and that may have helped some.

Steve, how does the cam and lifters look. I'd pull a cover, couple of lifters out to have a look. Just to ensure your OK there. 
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 4:01pm
Where did you get the gears you were running on the distributor & cam??

Google AMC distributor gear problems, you'll have hours & hours of reading.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 4:15pm
To me it looks like it wasn't heat treated right. It's softer than the cam gear is.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2018 at 4:31pm
i'm wondering how much oil pressure you're running?

67 american 290/4speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic