TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

DIST/CAM GEAR MATCHET SET?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 7:19am
if both gears came from the same manufacture then likely they are of the same hardness therefore compatible to wear together not to say that you wont have the trouble others have had but if you pay close attention in the assembly then you limit having this issue let me tell you I wiped out a gear set because I ran heavy weight oil and sustained high rpm like 6000 drag racing so it a crap shoot if it happen there is no real reason that has been pined down to the cause of this issue but many factor that may have caused this issue
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2018 at 6:58pm
I’m having the same issue. I replaced gaskets in the engine and replaced the ford ignition with an HEI. I went through two gears on the cam and ordered the crown set from summit. I drove it home from the shop and no issues, but they had set the idle so low that my oil pressure was going down to about 10 psi off the gauge in my 79 amx. I tried to keep the idle higher at the stop lights but rather difficult on a hill with a 4 speed. Lol.
I bought a new timing chain cover and oil pump assembly but am not sure if I really need to change it just yet. I moved it out of the garage yesterday to wash and the oil pressure was good, it that again was with the electronic choke engaged, but I didn’t run the car to operating temperature. I’m going to run it up to operating temp, then raise the idle up a bit and see if the pressure stays up. I’m hopeful. I’ve not ever experienced this issue ever, wearing out the distributor cam gear and have never heard of this before even though I grew up in Kenosha.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 10:05am
Any other feedback on the matched set of Crown gears from Summit? Can the MSD Iron gear set truly be worth 4X the price of the Crown Iron gear set?? Especially when you still have to drill the hole?
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 3:00pm
 I feel bad for anyone building and searching for a cam and distributor gear set. Back in the early 2000s our company tested gears for several other companies. Virtually all failed tests. One gear cut at 60 degrees and the other at 30 degrees is the easy part. Getting the depth correct, the hardness variation within 3 or 4 Rc C and making sure the bore is correct seemed like an impossible task for the aftermarket. We stopped getting gears hobbed a couple years ago. Get calls every other day on those and now we are simply too busy to even think about starting that project again. I would not use a set from Crown or Omix and definitely not trust any gear that came on any new distributor. 
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2018 at 3:08pm
FOUND REMAN SETS FROM ALFANO PERFORMANCE ...HEAR OF THEM?
ALSO ETA ON ORDER #8999 FROM YOU LAST WEEK?
RAYMON H
Smatoska View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smatoska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 2:04am
I’m still having issues with this. I think I went through another set.  I’m so frustrated to have the car sitting in the garage for 6months without being able to drive.  I had the carb rebuilt and the car ran nice, replace the battery this past week and when I went to start it it ran for about 15 seconds, the engine popped and died.  I couldn’t get it restarted.  I pulled the distributor and looked down the hole and it didn’t look like the cam gear was worn, but using an extendable magnet I pulled out a sliver of metal off the gear.  So frustrating and not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 5:43am
Nuclear option: buy a junkyard engine, take the gears, sell the rest.  
Phitown Hustler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phitown Hustler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 6:52am
I run an external oil line from the sender port to hole in the top cover to ensure oiling.   Never lost a gear despite running high oil pressure which loads the gear
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 7:06am
American performance had a kit but I don't think they offer any more but like said on the external oil line all it is you come off the sender port put a tee in there then run a 1/8 copper line to the top of your cover drill a hole and put a fitting above the cam gear location you might fine better instruction on here or the web
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2019 at 7:54am
I used an msd cam gear and a cheap bronze dist. gear on a 304 a few years ago. Still running strong.
It doesn't matter what gears you use of your oiling paths are not correct. I hate that external line BS. Make sure your oiling is correct the OEM way and you wont have a problem.

I've been running the same used OEM cam gear and a Mallory bronze dist. gear for almost 15 years in drag and circle track. Still looks great.

Edited by Hurst390 - Jun/22/2019 at 7:58am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic