TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

DIST/CAM GEAR MATCHET SET?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIST/CAM GEAR MATCHET SET?
    Posted: May/05/2018 at 10:01pm
I READ THIS ALL THE TIME BUT DONT KNOW WHAT MATCHED SET MEANS. I LOOK AT ALL THE LISTINGS OF DIST AND CAM GEARS FOR SELL AND NONE OF THEM SAY MATCHED SET.
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN MORE PLZ?
THANX
RAYMON H
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2018 at 11:14pm
there were issues with hardness of gears from after market distributor so its best to throw caution and buy like both msd gears or get two factory gears to eliminate the possible problem of wearing out the cam gear if you do get a hardness issue it is also best to pay close attention when assembling a motor for the oil groves in a cam gear so you don't get oiling issues bulltear also might have the gears in stock or you could post for new ones on the forum if yours are worn
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2018 at 11:24pm
SO IF I SIMPLY ORDER A DIST GEAR AND A GEAR THAT DRIVES THE DIST IN A PAIR FROM SAY SUMMIT.......THEY ARE NOT MATCHED?
RAYMON H
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2018 at 11:41pm
that's correct in some cases people like factory sets that have been used together in a motor so the wear pattern is already set like I said it was a harness issue from like china made distributor what some people do is use a bronze distributor gear it will wear before taking out the cam gear im sure others will chime in on the issue there have been many old post on here on this issue if you look   
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2018 at 11:42pm
Besides the obvious of having the gears matched to each other, ie meant to work together and having similar hardness, etc, the term is often used to mean that they have been run together and should be kept for life with those two specific gears together. Some swear by this and others say don't worry about it.

Personally, I have done both and have not had any particular trouble either way. If the gears are both good quality and the oiling passages mentioned above are clear, you should not have any trouble, whatever you do.

Chris

PS: In fairness, it is ideal to use the same set mated for life, but in my opinion it is not critical. I asked an engineer friend of mine and basically what happens is that they will wear to the level of the worst gear of the set. If both are in good shape, you should be fine. If one is marginal, it will lower the other to it's level. Basically, don't put a well worn gear with a new one!

Edited by ccowx - May/05/2018 at 11:47pm
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2018 at 9:07am
The issue came about a number of years ago when factory distributor gears were no longer available. A aftermarket gear was then being sold by AMC vendors and even Mopar dealerrships. It was a different hardness from the original, and maybe even just poor quality. Once installed, it would wipe out the cam gear anywhere from a day or two to a few weeks or more. I know, as I had to replace two gear sets because of this (one bought at a Mopar dealetship). After this debacle became known, original factory matched sets were in big demand until Bulltear started making sets which they no longer offer.
I guess MSD offers sets now. See Jeep sites sell gears. I've only used the Bulltear since, so no idea who to recommend now.
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2018 at 9:57am
I have ran many different distributors, many new and remans, and none of them had matching gears. I have never had a single issue. What I have learned from building amc engines, is that the problem, IMHO, isn't the gears, but rather oiling to the gears. MANY after market timing sets are not machined right, and often block part or all of the oil passage to the gears.
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2018 at 6:20pm
As I understand the issue, there are/were aftermarket gears that had either a different profile on the teeth or a different hardness than stock gears or both.   They failed rapidly.  The only safe interchange that I personally know is accel distributor gears have always worked on stock cam gears for me.  But that only applies to accel distributors, as the shaft is a larger diameter.  73Hornut above is 100% correct, even with properly matched gears, there are opportunities to screw up the oiling as well.  The cam has to feed the passage in the timing chain gear all the way to the cam gear.  Some are mis-aligned, some have a leakage path that loses oil on the way to the gear.  

amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2018 at 2:14pm
Yes, oiling issue could also cause problems but a bad distributor gear was cause of mine. Don't know if still available, but the Rollmaster Timing sets from Australia prevented any any oiling problems for me. 

So I take it, to be safe, the only cam/distributor gear sets out there now that offer no problems is the MSD? Just used my last Bulltear set. 
DHACKING View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHACKING Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 11:36am
I bought a distributor and cam gear from summit made by crown automotive.
part # cwa-4486635k
IS THIS CONSIDERED A MATCHED SET??????????????
THANX RAY
RAYMON H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic