TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Discouraged

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2019 at 2:12pm
With my fuel sender, it was a bad ground!  Took the advice of dropping the tank a little, putting a wire under one of the screwsand running it to a good ground.  Works great, much to my relief.
I've ordered a box of assorted roll pins for my steering wheel's signal cancel issue.
Stay tuned!  :-)
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 4:59pm
Do you have a TSM? I found one on eBay.
There are sellers of old TSMs.
Worth their weight in gold.

The fuse block on my car is under the rh side of the dash. Half a dozen fuses.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2019 at 5:38pm
Try to avoid "shot gunning" repairs by simply throwing parts at a suspected problem, well at least expensive parts anyway. More thorough real troubleshooting can save a lot of money and time on wasted parts purchases as I'm sure you found out. When you find yourself getting discouraged or frustrated stop working and take a break. Maybe for a hour or two or a few days. Whatever it takes for your enthusiasm to return. You really need to get your hands on the factory shop manual (TSM)for 1959 and if you can't find a 59 manual then look for one of an adjacent year. You really need to get a look see at the back side of a working steering wheel and the switch side of the column to see what you may be missing. Even better if you can find someone local with a similar car. Sometimes these manuals can be found at libraries.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 4:16am
Here's the owner's manual
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-RAMBLER-Original-NOS-Owners-Manual-Excellent-Condition-US/382742535330?hash=item591d3b9ca2:g:bZkAAOSwip5cRKda

and here the shop manual.
Looks as if there was a full manual in 1958, then just a supplement for 1959.

And the manual back then was split into Mechanical, Body, and Technical which I suppose is electrical etc.
This is a CD version. Personally, I prefer paper, which you can also find on eBay.

If the manuals are anything like the 62 and 63 that I bought, they're very detailed, lot of pics. Including the underside of the wheel.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 10:38am
I put a new fuel sender in my 65 Classic. Left the ground wire off because there wasn't one on the old one. Works fine. 

I'd check for continuity in the yellow wire.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DocLong DocLong wrote:

I put a new fuel sender in my 65 Classic. Left the ground wire off because there wasn't one on the old one. Works fine.
Then you are lucky. You're depending upon the contact between the fuel tank and the body of the car to complete the circuit. It's not reliable
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic