TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Disc brake master with 3 3/8" mounting centers?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc brake master with 3 3/8" mounting centers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phast1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disc brake master with 3 3/8" mounting centers?
    Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 12:39pm
I've come to realize that most disc brake master cylinders have 3 3/16 - 3 1/4 mounting centers for mounting to a booster, while the factory drum brake masters have the 3 3/8" mounting centers. I've made one work by widening the holes with a round file, but I'm not really happy with it and it doesn't seem right to me. I've look at the speedway motors corvette style universal MC: 

I like it and mounting distance works, but I'm kind of upset that the aluminum version of this MC is listed with narrower mounting centers, as I would prefer aluminum over cast iron. 

The Wilwood master is also an option considering the factory oblonged holes, but it's on the pricier side of the things. 

Does anyone know of a factory 1" or 15/16" disc brake master with the factory 3 3/8" mounting centers? I'm not concerned with maintaining a period correct look, so a modern style with a plastic reservoir wouldn't really be a deal breaker. I'm thinking of going with the speedway universal mc, but if possible I think it would be better to build a system off an mc that is widely available and makes possible replacement in the future easier. 

Thanks! 

Connor 
1972 Javelin
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2018 at 1:03pm
I used a Corvette MC on my Pro Rally SX/4. I bolted up to the power booster.
I have widened the mounting holes on a 74 Hornet disc/drum MC to fit a 62 Classic without a power booster.
No problem.  The Hornet MC sure is cheaper than  the Speedway one.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic