TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2014 at 4:58pm
OK I know this a little out there however so am I.
I have a 1961 Willys Jeep FJ3A and there seem to be almost NO parts available and that caught me off guard. Since I am missing a front wheel hub and backer plate I am thinking about doing a disc conversion. In all of my searching it looks like the Scarebird is the closest fit. Does anyone know the Plate mounting dimensions side to side and top to bottom for early AMC?? I am waiting on Scarebird, seems they are very busy.
I do not want a piece of yard art, it will be a very long struggle but we plan to drive this guy. Right now it is a tripod.

Any and all help is appreciated.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2014 at 11:51pm
this advice runs counter to current thinking, but if your car is light, drum brakes are fine -- if you oversize them. for Americans, 9x2.5 drums from late 70's/80's cars are fine, bolt on, and are dirt cheap. 9x2.5 drums are still commonly available.

the scarebird kits are great though. they're a great choice. i concur on the longevity "issue" -- seriously, and also, 30 yr old GM or Toyota parts will be a heck of a lot easier to find that AMC WHO MAKES THAT DODGE? parts.

factoid for you: there were more Ford Model T's made than all AMCs in its' 30 year existence! there's more parts available for a ONE HUNDRED YEAR OLD CAR than our Ramblers. start packratting, or adapting :-)

i drilled and ventilated 9.x25 drums and did some seriously hard driving on them and they performed as ghood as or better than the scarebird setup, on my '63 American. lighter too. my perversion is not for everyone i admit, ymmv, etc.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

wmildman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2014 at 12:06pm
My original thought was leave it all original but due to not having the parts I am up the creek. I still would like the mounting plate hole measurements if anyone has them. I am missing the backer plate and front wheel hub, so I am at the hole in the road.
Thank You
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2014 at 8:00pm
Does the spindle mount have four bolts? I'm thinking they might have the same pattern as AMC spindles. If so, you might be in luck. I don't have one handy to measure, but the pattern is the same from at least 1952 through 83 (last 2WD AMC car).
Frank Swygert
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2014 at 9:34pm
Bolt holes are 0.44 of an inch or 7/16 in size. measurements are from center to center. top holes are 2.450 and side or verticals are 2.559.  If your holes don't line up let me know the dimensions and I could make you an adapter plate. I'm not familiar with your style of vehicle. does it use a solid front axle like the Jeeps CJ's or independent like the cars? Hope this info helps
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2014 at 9:51pm

Oh I do have the entire disc brake set up off of a 72 Matador. axles, spindles, steering arms. discs, backing plated. rotors, calipers. calipers would need to be rebuilt. Also on Amc's the  hub and rotor are a one piece set up. I do machine old worn rotors off the hub so a Cherokee rotor can be bolted onto the AMC hub 20.00 bucks compaired 100.00 + dollars if they can be found is better on the wallet.

59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
wmildman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 12:36pm
I have the "I-Beam type straight axle (it is not really straight, dips down in the center, under the engine)but the spindle is attached via King pins. This is a 2 wheel drive

The following is for a DJ but is the same as FJ http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/55-dj-fr-axle-1024x735.jpg

Thank You
wmildman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 1:49pm
Could you send picture of the backing plate and rotor?
And if you are willing to break up the set. send me an email with the how much factor. Or if you know of a set of backing plates I will start there. I can't use the rest of it.
wmildman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmildman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 4:13pm
farna
It does have 4 bolts to hold the backer plate to the spindle and I think you are right. if not exact they seem to be close, very close almost scary after all of the "can't find it" part searches
If you know of any backer plates for sale let me know.
Thank You
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 12:37pm

Ok that front end/axle assy. Is different than the AMC car at the wheel ends.
Your spindle/knuckle is 1 piece and held to the “axle” with the king pins.

The cars spindles & knuckles are 2 piece where the spindles bolt to the knuckles. See the picture of the car spindle with the measurements, that bolts to the knuckle with 4 bolts/nuts that then uses ball joints top/bottom to the A arms.
On the cars they also use the 4 bolts/nuts to hold on the backing plates & steering arms and think the caliper brackets.
What I see you could not bolt on a disc brake kit easily because your spindles do not bolt to the knuckles.

Right now I am thinking of getting you 4 wheels on the ground.
To start what is the size of the brakes on your Jeep?
What is the wheel bolt pattern size on the Jeep? Car is 5x4.5.
Do the car spindle holes measure the same as your backing plate holes?
When you say “hub” do your drums slip over the hub or are the drum/hub 1 piece like the AMC cars?
I don’t know where to start on measuring your spindles & hub/drums to see if you could use AMC car parts and bolt them on to your Jeep for now. Guess you would need to measure the ID of the bearings and the seal area and also measure were the 2 bearing ride inside to outside them get the measurements of the car set up.
My thought is maybe using AMC car drum brake setup if the backing plate will bolt to your spindle/knuckle assy. And if the car drum/hub will fit your spindle.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic