TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

differences - 79 to 82 258's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: differences - 79 to 82 258's
    Posted: Aug/02/2007 at 11:29pm
I MAY have to make a decision on the SX/4.
It's an 82.
I have this engine I got from Edelbrock that's a brand new 1979 258, never been in a car, probably the equiv of about 10 miles on it, tops.
I can't put the 79 in an Eagle due to lack of casting to support front differential of the Eagle.
I mean, for all practical purposes, this thing is factory new, except for the work they did - shot peening, balancing, etc. If that block had the differential support casting, I'd be putting that engine in there today.

Some thoughts are - obtain a 1980+ 258 block, have it blueprinted and put the guts from the '79 engine in it, head and all, so I have the better valve cover.

What are differences in the heads, cranks and other items that might preclude me from doing a simple swap of guts from the 79 to, say, an 81 or 82 block?

I'd like to build any engine, and have it ready, and then simply pull this one and drop in the new one in a day - IF it comes to that. If the oil pressure comes back on the SX/4, then it will be a "someday" thing, but I still want to plan for it, so need to know what heads fit what, and design changes to the 258 from 79 to 80, 81, or 82.

Facts, please.......
For example, I know the 79 and 80 had the good steel valve cover that bolted on, and the 82 had the plastic one held on with studs, but what where the other changes?
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 12:28am
AMC went to the 7/16" head bolts in '81 so you would have to bush the bolts to use the head on a later block.  OR, find an '87 or later block with the new head and valve cover style.

Edited by IowaEagle - Aug/03/2007 at 12:28am
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 1:01pm
I also have a comment to make as well.................now, I'm the worlds worst when it come to these 6 cylinders......I have a 1981 & 1983 258's   and they have the Plastic valve cover,    IIRC, 1981 is the year AMC changed the # of weights on the crankshaft on SOME of these engines......some early 1981 engines were the Heavy engines and some of the later 1981's were the "lighter" engines........?   is this right or this is nonsense?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2007 at 2:34pm
Wouldn't mind a "good" plastic valve cover, too............
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:06am
The official change over to the lighter cranks happened in '81.  But, we all know some of the heavier ones could have been used in '81. 

An aside, I wonder if AMC supplied heavier ones to persons replacing pre '81 cranks.  Or if they just shipped out the lighter style?
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:10am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Wouldn't mind a "good" plastic valve cover, too............

Bill, Bill, Bill.  There just ain't no such animal.  Bite the bullet, open the wallet, and get an aluminum one.  Drill and tap the holes as needed and do it right.  Or, swap your '80 head into the SX/4 after you get some head bolt bushings.   Anyway, the aluminum covers look so nice in our cars after the smogectomy is done.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:40am
If they changed cranks, would they not need rebalanced?
Is there a reason the heavier pre-81 guts, crank and all, would not go into an 81 or later block? Were the mains the same diameter and width?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 12:44am
Since the later casting, without pulling the VC and looking, appear they sitll have the bosses for the VC mounting holes, could a person not take a stamped valve cover, drill and tap an 82 head and put the stamped valve cover on?
I just can't swing nearly 100 bucks for a single simple valve cover - not with the fuel pump being bad and all the other issues I'm running into with it now.
However, I'll do what it takes to get by a few months as that's all that's needed for now, then will "do it right" later.
A person could make bushings on a lathe, could they not? If doing a head swap.............
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 1:10am
gaskets are different detween steel cover and plastic will not interchange    i don't think    didn't the last years or so of the eagle have a factory aluminum cover ???  me and my brother tried an older cover on the newer engine they did not match up   he had an 81 sx4

Edited by matty 401 - Aug/04/2007 at 1:11am
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2007 at 1:19am
You are correct.  But there is an aftermarket aluminum cover (well several, really) that fit on the '81 - '86 head to replace the synthetic one AMC used as part of a research (failied research) project.  The '87 and later cover (also aluminum) is different from the '80 and older ones and only fit on those last years.    Here is a picture of mine on a '82 Eagle with a partial smogectomy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic