TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Diamonds out of coal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diamonds out of coal
    Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 6:55am
The more I mess with the iron heads the more I feel like I am tyring to make diamonds out of coal

It takes so much work to turn these old iron heads into a true performance head it is really not worth the time and effort anymore in my opinion. 

So if you are considering iron or Edelbrock, I strongly suggest Edelbrock
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 7:36am
The only reason I have seen to run aluminum on most builds are finding iron cores to start with without cracked corners etc...
An iron head only needs the intake port worked over. Very little work is needed on the exhaust other than removing the bump in the dogleg..
I have about 500 9 sec. passes with iron heads..Thats as good or better than any edelbrock head is going to do..
If you need more than that your looking at an Indy head anyway..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 8:15am
This is my opinion concerning most builds. 

One set of heads like that on your engine is fine. Now do that to every set you do for every build

I am mostly taking about the amount of time it takes to make something out of a pair of old rusty heads, pitted decks, bad guides, other peoples bad work etc, as compared to an new set of heads out of the box. 

What I start with and what it takes to do what I do to them is costly, very time consuming and dirty. 

AMC has a very good iron head and they can be made into a great performance piece but Edelbrock has a very nice, shiny new, product that performs well out of the box and better with work. 

Maybe I am getting tired of running a marathon with every set of iron heads I do.

rbjracing.com
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 8:28am
I can mostly agree with that....I'm just saying it is as much work porting the edelbrock as the iron..but agree with the other issues..

I just prefer to run fast with as many oem AMC parts as I can..it's my Rambler mentality..
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 8:43am
I feel a little different about using as much original AMC as possible. 

For my builds the only thing factory in the end is the block, crank, timing cover, and head cores. Everything else is new aftermarket. 

It is rewarding to go fast with iron heads for sure but on my end, building engines for others, replacing factory heads with a quality aluminm replacement is a good option. 

I just got a 401 in to build and it consistes of a Torker intake, 401 block with caps, crank and new distributor and wires the customer had. Everything else will be new aftermarket. 

rbjracing.com
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 10:15am
Even if you do the same amount of work (take the same amount of material off), the aluminum heads can be done a bit faster simply because the material is easier to cut (softer). At least in theory. Have to take your time and be careful, and it's a bit easier to bite deeper than planned with aluminum. Always easier to start with something new!!
Frank Swygert
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 10:31am
Not to mention the obvious.........weight
they call me Capt RETIRED!
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 11:06am
I'm on the outside looking in when it comes to head work/porting,
but even as a non-professional I think about having a set of heads "done" and I wonder how it must feel to spend big dollars on porting iron heads,
then seeing coolant leaking out of the corners after you bolt them up.  Confused

I have Eddy heads for this build,
and the "future build" that's in my head still, I hope to go bigger, and use some worked over Indy's.
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 11:08am
Have you ever ported a set of aluminum heads farna?
If not you might try it and then port a set of iron... let us know the difference.

Yes I agree they are lighter, easier to fix and shiny not to mention new...
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 11:09am
Side note,
I thought for sure, since this thread is in the engine forum,
that "Diamonds out of Coal" would mean building big inches and power starting with 360 cores.

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic