TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Devilboy's 1965 American 330

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 8:54am
Ollie, sounds good to me. You let me know the time for the next meet-up and I will be there. Ron wanted to come but was on the road for his job. We will do what we can to make it happen.

Contacted SEM and they quickly got back and told me to send them in a sample of the color and they will figure out a match for me, so that is a somewhat positive development.

I just wish Dupli-color would offer to do the same thing. I could save a lot of money by going with them rather than SEM. The product is about the same quality, but the price difference of SEM versus Dupli-color is astoundingly different and it is about 3 times as expensive as Dupli-color. So far no response from them yet.

Rambling onward.

Edited by Devilboy - Oct/08/2018 at 11:31am
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 11:19am
Wow. The DMT heater restoration kit got here so fast and it looks really well done. Kudos to Jim & Loretta Fillmore at Detroit Muscle Technologies. Can't wait to go at it.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:08pm
A better match for that dark blue might be found on the Colorbond website.  Google Colorbond Interior Paint and start searching.  You might have to look under marine interior paints.  You have a choice of "blues" there.  I have never used Colorbond products but came across a reference to them recently and might try it if I can't find a color I need in the SEM product line.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 1:15pm
Thanks pacerman. I will give it a shot if SEM does not work out. They have been awesome so far and have told me they will match it and mix some up for me no charge. Sent in a chip of vinyl to match.

Edited by Devilboy - Oct/08/2018 at 1:31pm
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:20pm
The Bully Dog Adhesion Prompter (or should that be Promoter?) is a good idea. If nothinjg else clean the vinyl first with a solvent that completely evaporates -- alcohol (even rubbing alcohol is good enough), mineral spirits, paint thinner, or even spray brake parts cleaner all work well. The key is to have no oils, even from fingers, on the surface. CLEAN!!! I've had good luck with regular acrylic spray paint (no lacquer!) on hard vinyl like arm rests after a really good cleaning.

If Duplicolor matched paint like SEM it would probably cost as much too...
Frank Swygert
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2018 at 5:29pm
Thanks guys. I have no issues with using the products. I already removed all grease, oils, dirt and other such stuff before painting and it came out great, just the wrong color. I just haven't found a color match yet.

I was more looking for anyone who could recommend a color or brand that will come close to matching the interior color, which is called Dark Blue Semi Gloss, color code 9159-LH that AMC used in 1965. But SEM is probably what I will go with.

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

If Duplicolor matched paint like SEM it would probably cost as much too...
Good point Frank.

Edited by Devilboy - Oct/08/2018 at 5:41pm
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2018 at 3:07pm
More developments. Fuel pump is on it's way.
Floor pan from CTC got here and while not perfect, it will work just fine with some coaxing.

And, after almost a year of trying, I have finally had some success in my search.
It took a lot of work. A lot of emails. A lot of patience. But I think the ordeal is almost over.
Paid for these babies today and just have to wait for them to get shipped here.

Now I can finally add the lower body line mouldings on my '65. Been a long time searching...

Got some rocker mouldings coming from mazenoex too. Yay!
Will really help get the Rambler's look the way that I want it.

Back to it!

Edited by Devilboy - Oct/11/2018 at 12:30pm
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2018 at 9:47am
I have been trying to locate a Rambler American accelerator pedal floor pivot - parts # 350 5771 since I got my car. The pedal is no longer connected in any way and fell off several times while I was driving the car home. It had rusted away to the point that it no longer held the retaining spring and needed to be completely replaced.

Since I got my new floor pan I figured I would have to make one from a hinge, but today I just happened to get lucky and score a pedal assembly that comes with pedal, retaining spring and pivot (and a small section of floor pan from the car it was cut from).

Oh, happy day. What a relief finding that.

Other than a few odds and ends, I think I have managed to locate most of the parts I have been looking to find for this car. Other than quarter panels and a rocker panel to replace my rust issues, I have gotten extremely lucky and appreciate all of the forum's help.

Onward...

Edited by Devilboy - Oct/13/2018 at 9:32am
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:02am
Since you're not really restoring the car 100%, I was going to suggest you go to a cable pedal from a modern car. All are similar to the later American pedal -- hang from a mount on the firewall. I have a Jeep XJ pedal in mine now. But you found one, so you're good to go! Might want to consider the cable pedal if you switch to a different carb or motor later though. 
Frank Swygert
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:19am
Good idea Frank. Thank you. I was actually suggested that by someone else and was starting to look for one but then I happened to stumble across the set up. I just got super lucky.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic