TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Devilboy's 1965 American 330

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Devilboy Devilboy wrote:

Today I decided to order the Gabriel shock package with adjustable air shocks for the rear and gas shocks for the front. Even comes with a free air hose kit.

Now I have got to figure out something on these front drums. Having a bit of an issue finding any new ones locally. Anyone have a reliable suggestion on where to order some?

Thanks!
Ramblin' onward.

I've enjoyed reading this thread - it's fun to see a simple honest car like yours come back to life, and keeps me motivated on my Matador project.  On the air-shock idea - do understand that air shocks aren't really intended to restore ride-height.  that's the job of the springs.  Granted, Americans don't weight that much, but running air shocks with a bunch of pressure in them all the time will put a lot of strain on the shock mounts, as they aren't designed to hold up the weight of the car - just dampen the movements of the car over bumps.

The good news is that replacement leaf spring assemblies are available, and aren't a fortune. (but more expensive than air shocks....at least at 1st)

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 4:36pm
Thanks for following it! I am not a wealthy man by any means, so the going is slow. But I am enjoying this car immensely. (Quirks and all...)

As far as the shocks go, I only plan to use the air shocks sparingly and never anywhere near close to even halfway aired up. The lift will be very slight and I do plan to replace the leaf springs as soon as I can too.

Now I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the brakes Ollie has would work for me. Would be awesome to take care of that issue.

Cheers!
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 9:22pm
Update:

The shocks I ordered are not coming... Sadly, Robert "Greg" Hire of National Shock Absorber out of Fort Wayne, Indiana passed away before he got a chance to send them to me. My condolences go out to his family and friends and anyone who knew him. He was a real nice guy who did a lot for the classic car world. R.I.P. Greg.

So needless to say something else will need to be found in the shock department. Unfortunately because of the death, my funds could be slow to be refunded through ebay & paypal...

On the brake front, it appears that Ollie may have just saved the day for me with the brakes he has.

So some good news & some bad.

Slowly rambling onward...
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 12:25am
nice project keep up the work its really looking good the rear quarter are repairable mine were worse than that again looking good
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 8:05am
I am sure paypal & EBay will make it good money wise.....
I have a set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 66 American so there out there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

I am sure paypal & EBay will make it good money wise.....
I have a set of Monroe Air Shocks on my 66 American so there out there.
Ollie

They will, but it may take a while to clear because of Greg's passing. But you are right, no worries there. Just more waiting. But there is nothing that can be done, so wait I will.

The shocks are easy. Those I can find. Greg just had a great package deal that I have not been able to come close to matching price wise anywhere else.

Also Ollie, you will totally be hearing from me on Friday with shipping details & payment for those brakes.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 9:49am
Today I got my refund from ebay so I ordered some new Monroe shocks for The Rambler. After some thought and persuasion by a few forum members, I decided against air adjusting shocks and just went gas OE Spectrum all around to even out the ride.

Sent off the payment to Ollie for the brakes. Cheers for those!

When they get here, The Rambler will be a lot happier. And I will be so much less stressed out. Definitely made some progress today with these purchases. Now the waiting for the delivery guy begins...

Rambling onward.

Edited by Devilboy - Aug/18/2017 at 2:34pm
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 2:26pm
Your Toys in Waiting....

2 boxes, twice as exciting !!!   

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 2:35pm
Cheers! Can't wait!
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 4:20pm
Looks like I will be working on The Rambler sometime this week after all!

Ollie's old brake setups arrived today. Huzzah! Thank you kindly, my fine feathered friend. Looks great! If all goes according to plan, this should completely alleviate the wobble in the left front wheel. I can not wait for that to be gone...

The front shocks arrived too. Tomorrow the rear shocks get here. Hopefully the change-outs go smooth and easy.

Ramblin' onward...
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic