TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Devilboy's 1965 American 330

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2017 at 10:34am
Got the front brakes changed out yesterday.

The left drum popped right off no sweat. The other was stuck pretty good and took quite a bit of time, a lot of effort and AeroKroil to remove. The lug studs on the right appear to have been hammered in so hard that they have shouldered at the base where they connect to the hub making the drum really hard to remove... Going to need to replace the studs. Add that to the list.

I think the reason the right one came off so easily is that the lug studs on it are fairly new. My guess is that at some point in it's life, this car took a very hard curb check to the front left wheel or the wheel was hit in a way that managed to bend/warp the hub a bit. They probably damaged the studs in the process and when they changed them out, someone probably had a heck of a time getting it off because of the damage and beat on it like crazy. So between those two scenarios, I am going to need to replace the left front hub. Add that to the list.

Halfway through the job after the fronts were done, I realized that the girl at the parts store gave me the wrong ones for the rear. It will be a few more days till the replacements get here and I can finish the job.

Went through quite a bit of a brake cleaner in the process. These brakes were dirty...

Ramblin' onward!
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:03pm
The rear brakes went on no problem. That job is done.

The Rambler can now stop again. That is a relief.

The issue with the right front wheel may be drum related rather than hub. There is still some wobbliness to it that desperately needs to be addressed. I am of the opinion that replacing the left front drum may alleviate the issue.

Had to get a steering wheel puller from my buddy, but I finally got the turn signal cancelling cam installed & connected too. It is so weird to me that when the cam doesn't make contact, you not only lose blinkers, but you also lose brake lights... I understand the series connection, it just seems odd compared to what I am used to.

Either way, my blinkers now return to the proper position after the turn is completed, which is awesome. No more manually shutting them off or forgetting to and driving around like Mr. Magoo with my blinker on...

The last missing piece of valance molding has been paid for and is on the way as I write. Many thanks to BU1 for saving it aside for me and not selling it at the Kenosha meet. After that, the only thing I am really missing that was originally on the car are the upper grille supports that hold the grill up & the door tag. I am very excited to put the last missing piece of molding back on...

This week I am ordering new drums for the front to hopefully address the wobble, so that I do not destroy my tire. I am also going to get all new shocks to fix the droopy stance of the rear end and fix the very bumpy ride. The shocks that are on there now are completely shot.

Thinking of putting Gabriel air adjustable shocks on the back as an easy way to rake it a bit without breaking the bank. Thoughts?

Ramblin' onward.

Edited by Devilboy - Aug/02/2017 at 12:36am
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 12:25pm
Today I decided to order the Gabriel shock package with adjustable air shocks for the rear and gas shocks for the front. Even comes with a free air hose kit.

Now I have got to figure out something on these front drums. Having a bit of an issue finding any new ones locally. Anyone have a reliable suggestion on where to order some?

Thanks!
Ramblin' onward.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:14am
I went a different route with the front brakes on my 68 Javelin. Since they needed everything I decided to do a disc swap with everything all new. Bought the scarebird brackets a few years ago. That setup uses the Toyota previa rotors, cadillac fleetwood calipers, hoses and pads. Still using the drum master (same one on your car), just pull the check valve out of the front outlet. On your car you probably need to stick with the drum master for the brake light switch. You have to take the new rotors and existing hubs to a machine shop to get the hubs machined to fit the rotors correctly. In the end it was cheaper than keeping the drums and they work in the rain.

This may not be the best route for you at this point since you already have $ into the front brakes. How much $ so far?

Edited by maximus7001 - Aug/04/2017 at 7:56am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 6:47am
The front brakes I have are yours if they fit. Maybe someone can answer the question. I have everything from the backing plates out including the wheel bearings.

Is a 66 American interchangeable with a 65 American??

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2017 at 8:19am
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

This may not be the best route for you at this point since you already have $ into the front brakes.

Not that much since I only replaced the shoes so far. The hardware and everything else is still good. It is just the left front drum that is messed up. But I do not have the scratch to finance a disc brake conversion at the moment. I wish. Some day...

Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Is a 66 American interchangeable with a 65 American??Ollie

I hope so. Anyone? I just am not sure if the '66 used the same size brakes. They might be 9" x 2.5" instead of 9" x 2" like mine. But it would be nice if they did. I am having a very hard time finding two that are even available for sale or that are in stock.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 8:31pm
I bet the backing plates are the same...you get it all for the same free price

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2017 at 9:06pm
PM sent.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
Artful Dodger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Artful Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 11:22am
Reading your thread with interest.
I am looking to replace friends front drums on 66 Classic Rebel with 290 v8. (Power brakes)
I am reading that they will be 10" diameter but seems to be question of 2" or 2 1/2" surface.
The car is still being driven but worn so drums can not be turned.
If the hub is removed, is the drum same as rear?
Have you solved this?
Thanks
67, 770, 232 Auto
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 1:18pm
Cheers. Have not solved it yet. Been scouring the web for answers, but so far, no dice...
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic