TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

delco-remy distributor 1963 196 L-head engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: delco-remy distributor 1963 196 L-head engine
    Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 6:02pm
You all have helped me so much before and now I have a new problem. I need to find a Delco-Remy distributor for my 1963 Rambler American with the 196 L-head engine. Either complete or a re-build kit. I have searched the internet until I want to scream. Any help out there?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 7:31pm
I think the Rambler 232 and Chev 250 take pretty well the same distributor with the exception of maybe a gear change. I think the 196 distributor might turn counter-clockwise where the 232 turns clockwise but for other differences I cant remember. They also made a Prestolite distributor for them which I think were used more on the Canadian models and were also quite reliable. Trouble is tune up parts are getting ridiculously expensive. Have you looked into Petronix kits or Skip White replacement distributors?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 7:42pm
Like vinny said above, a 199 or 232 distributor will fit but you will need to reuse your current gear.    I have several complete units that will work I think. Parts are easier to find for a later distributor too. I can send a pic tomorrow when I have time to hunt one up. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
63rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:29pm
Thanks, but the engines that you both are referring to are OHV, the L-head is a flat head and has no gear at the bottom of the distributor. The Delco-Remy distributor model # shown in the manual is #1110299. So we would need a distributor that does not use a gear at the bottom.
ramblin64sw View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblin64sw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:44pm
I have one gathering dust. I believe its in pretty good shape. I can dig it up and send pics if you need it. Advance mechanism may be the same as later models?
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 8:46pm
Did the '63 L-head use Delco? ('62 used Autolite.)
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2015 at 9:18pm
Of course, I remember the difference now.   I have one from a 65 flathead that I can send you. It's not clean and pretty but it might help. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 1:04am
There was one on eBay not too long ago. I even sent a message to the seller informing them it was for a L-head engine not an OHV as they thought. I'll see if I can find it.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
63rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 6:52am
Yes the 63 used Delco. Joe & Ramblin64SW:  if you have a picture that would be great maybe we'll get lucky! I checked out all the ones that were currently on ebay last night but unless they were totally mislabeled I didn't see one but if there was one a while ago maybe they've still got it.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2015 at 9:22am
Maybe the attached will help you.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic