TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Delco alternator install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2008 at 8:51pm
The first Delco conversion that I did was on my Donohue. I just modified the original 70 bracket to fit the wider Delco top mount. I cut a secound bracket apart and welded it on the back of the original bracket that had it's rear flange removed. I just fabbed up a new shorter Z bracket for the back brace. On my 77 AMX which uses the same motor as I had in the Donohue, I went with a newer version of the Delco alt. Since the Delco has a smaller diameter upper mounting hole than the bolt that goes into the head, I made a custom bolt. I welded a short piece of 3/8" bolt threads to a piece of 5/16" threaded rod. I added a spacer over the new threaded rod and a nut on the end to hold the top of the alt in place. The lower mounts are simply made from 1" flat stock with slots cut in them. I also added a 1" flat stock cross brace from the threaded rod to the water pump. I had no problem clearing the oil pump in both cases.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
72JAV View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72JAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2008 at 8:46am
ok so i will be swapping out my motorola for a 140am mean green delco style alternator on my 304 in my Jeep with all appropriate brackets... does any one have a wiring diagram ... because the Jav has what looks like a small rats nest for wiring just need to know what goes where

thanx

Edited by 72JAV - Jul/15/2008 at 8:47am
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2008 at 9:48am

I believe theres a wiring diagram/conversion chart at www.madelectrical.com

69' amx best et so far 12.06 @ 115 mph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic