TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Delco alternator install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delco alternator install
    Posted: Jun/25/2008 at 6:30pm
Sorry to beat a dead horse about alternators!DeadDeadCry

I have a 69 AMX and am planning on installing a Delco alternator.  I have seen a lot of threads about the delco alternators...  I bought a powermaster from Sumitt and need to install it.  Most of the threads say that you can re-use your existing motorola brackets to mount the Delco.  But I dont see how thats possible with the dimension of the upper mount.  The Delco has a "longer" mounting boss than the motorola.  I had a couple of extra brackets so I modified one.  I cut the "back" off the top of the motorola bracket so the "long" part of the delco would fit in the bracket.  I put a bolt thru it just to see where everything would fit, and the back of the delco hits the top of the oil filter.

So now I am at a standstill, and wondering what to do with everything.  I can easily figure out the actual wiring, but is the mounting ever kicking my butt!!!!OuchConfusedOuch

Can someone help with some pics of their installation or maybe some drawings or some detailed descriptions???

THANX!Big%20smile
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 10:03am
I put a 10si in my amx and I cut the mounting boss thinner on the alternator to make it fit the motorolla bracket. You can also purchase a delco bracket off of a newer fsj.
69' amx best et so far 12.06 @ 115 mph
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 4:16pm

I thought about doing that also, but the bottom of the 10si hits the oil filter.  I did use one of the late model "straight shot" oil filter adapters from a late model Jeep...  Its not aftermarket, but maybe that is causing the interference???  The 69 oil filter adapter has the 45 degree bend in it...

Anyone have a delco bracket they aren't using that they would like to sell???
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by SCRAGTOP SCRAGTOP wrote:

Anyone have a delco bracket they aren't using that they would like to sell???

Just so happens I have one of those. All I have is the bracket & two long bolts, no spacers. Make me an offer + actual shipping.

As for filter adaptor I am using a bulltear nickel plated one (along with a single line milodon kit) & my alternator just barely clears it.
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 6:01pm
I would need the whole setup...including the bottom mount with the adjujstment slot.  I can make my own spacers out of stainless...

Would consider your top bracket if it were cheap enough.  Is it the bracket that has the extra metal and hole for an A/C setup?
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2008 at 6:16pm
Think that Kennedy American offers a GM Alternator and Braket "Kit".
Wonder if he might sell just the bracket(s) ?
Although the GM Alternator he  includes in the kit may have different
mounting bosses than the regular GM Alternator.
Maybe contact Jeff and see what he says ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/26/2008 at 6:17pm
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 9:59am

Is it the bracket that has the extra metal and hole for an A/C setup?

Dumb question on my part but how can I tell if it has the extra hole for a/c?
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 5:43pm
Difficult to explain, but I think the bracket for A/C vehicles has four holes instead of three (non-A/C)...   There would be an extra hole for the A/C bracket "above" where the LONG bolt(which goes all the way to the head) for the top of the alternator would go...  Hopefully this helps???
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2008 at 9:12pm

I did use one of the late model "straight shot" oil filter adapters from a late model Jeep...  Its not aftermarket, but maybe that is causing the interference???  The 69 oil filter adapter has the 45 degree bend in it...

The position of the filter is the same in the early and late unit. Only the internal passage is moved.

Edited by poormansMACHINE - Jun/27/2008 at 9:14pm
Brek View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2008 at 11:21am

Difficult to explain, but I think the bracket for A/C vehicles has four holes instead of three (non-A/C)...   There would be an extra hole for the A/C bracket "above" where the LONG bolt(which goes all the way to the head) for the top of the alternator would go...  Hopefully this helps???

Well I searched high & low for my bracket this weekend and I can't seem to find the darn thing Confused.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic