TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Definition of Acceleration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Definition of Acceleration
    Posted: Jul/14/2015 at 3:13pm
I get goose bumps every time I read this. I have seen it several times on the internet with no credit given to the author.

Definition of Acceleration:

Just one Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi-type engine produces more horsepower than the first five rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500.

Under full throttle a Top Fuel engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitro methane fuel per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V-8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

With over 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the superchargers on overdrive ratio, the fuel is compressed to a near-solid form before ignition occurs.

Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions are determined) 1.73 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane, the cylinder flame front temperature reaches 7,050 deg. F.

Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the exhaust stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, disassociate from atmospheric water vapor by the scaring exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arch welder in each cylinder.

Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a quarter mile run. After the 1/8 mile, the engine is dieseling from the heat of compression, plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1,400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off the fuel supply.

If a spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders with enough force and pressure to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the engine block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds or less, Top Fuel dragsters must accelerate an average of 4 g's. In order to reach 200 mph well before the half-track point, the initial launch acceleration approaches 8 g's.

Dragsters have reach well over 300 mph before you have finished reading this sentence.

Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 complete revolutions from light to light. Including the burnout, the engine has to survive about 900 revolutions under this intense load.

The engine redline is actually quite high at 9,500 RPM.

Assuming that all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and nothing blown up, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster National elapsed time record is held by Tony Schumacher in the U.S.Army Top Fuel car at 4.428 seconds, set 11/12/06 at Pomona, Ca. The current spedd record is also held by Tony Schumacher at 336.15 mph set 5/25/05 at Hebron, Ohio. These records are 1/4 mile standing start.

Putting all this into perspective:

You are at the wheel of the average NASCAR Cup car. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged, motionless, ready to launch down a quarter mile drag strip as you pass. You have the distinct advantage of a flying start. You run the Cup car hard through the gears at full throttle and blast across the drag strip starting line and past the motionless dragster at an honest 200 mph.

At that very instant, the Christmas tree goes green for the both of you. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredible loud and brutal whine that scars your ear drums, and in less than 4-1/2 seconds, the Top Fuel dragster will have reeled you in, caught and passed you. He beats you to the finish line by 23 feet.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you a 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the track when he passed you within a mere 1,320 feet race course.

That my friend, is the Definition of Acceleration.

Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2015 at 7:37pm
All of that, and the driver sits how close to that he'll-fire breathing beast? Too close for me. :)
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2015 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

All of that, and the driver sits how close to that he'll-fire breathing beast? Too close for me. :)

About three (3) feet between driver and engine. If you haven't seen a Top Fuel blown nitro dragster at a national event it is time to put it on your bucket list. My ears will not let me forget I was in the burn out pit at the 14th Nitro Nationals at Sears Point when 16 Top Fuel dragsters qualified. YOW!   

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Jul/18/2015 at 1:03am
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 8:33am
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

If you haven't seen a Top Fuel blown nitro dragster at a national event it is time to put it on your bucket list. My ears will not let me forget I was in the burn out pit at the 14th Nitro Nationals at Sears Point when 16 Top Fuel dragsters qualified. YOW!   

I agree completely. Here's a video I took back in 2007. It was the first time I've seen a nitro burning car in person. The burnout didn't make me jump but when they turned on the second fuel pump and launched the car it startled me so much I couldn't hold the camera still. The concussion coming from those engines is hard to describe.

That's me saying "Wow" at the end because the wall of thunder that engine made hit me so hard.

-Steve-

http://home.comcast.net/~amcer/MVI_0695.AVI

Edited by Rebel Machine - Jul/18/2015 at 8:36am
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2015 at 9:49am
It's loud enough that you can feel your internal organs vibrating at their own natural frequency.

I remember once at the grove and there were a pair of couples watching fuel qualifying, and the ladies clearly were not interested and were talking to each other. One lady was trying to drink a coke. Whenever a pair of cars would launch she would shriek and almost fling the coke in her panic to plug her ears. The pass would finish, she would grab the coke and go back to talking. This would repeat pass after pass. She never figured out that when the cars were at the starting line things were about to get loud. I think a few people in the next row were wearing coke.

The whole episode really was quite funny.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2015 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

It's loud enough that you can feel your internal organs vibrating at their own natural frequency.

That reminds me of the brown noise...  I am sure after a few qualifying rounds peeps who have eaten a few hot dogs or burgers run to the porta potties.

I had gone to an NHRA Nostalgia event... Getting up close in the tuning boxes, it was pretty mind blowing. Watching how much goes on before a run. Plus, seeing and hearing a tune by ear being done. 

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 10:35pm
Spring Nitro Nationals March 4-6, 2016
Series: IHRA Drag Race Series
Orlando, FL
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 11:35pm
But....... is it streetable?

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 1:32am
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

But....... is it streetable?

Top Fuel dragsters are not street-able. Not for the faint of heart, but for those pushing the boundaries. Would you rather drag your feet?
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 1:41am
I was kinda kiddin', guys! Seriously though, it does tend to bring a bit of a chill. Really a vehicle it is as extreme as a missile, more or less. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic