TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Decoding Trim Tag/ Interior Color Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 6:53am
I was talking to a Kenosha line worker at AMO in last year as my car had multiple colors.
Long and short is that at the end of the shift or if there was need to clean a spray gun, they shot out  paint on the floor of a vehicle as they knew it would be covered up.
In my case a 00 code car that was going out to be repainted at another location, they sometimes had a little fun and Rambo came off the line with white primer on the exterior.

The 961E is the Base charcoal vinyl seats. I don't see them at Legendary or any other supplier. Legendary can make a vinyl/cloth that would be close and a lot more comfortable. But $$$ and not a restoration.  

Edited by Trader - Jan/17/2019 at 7:15am
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 11:31am
The quarter windows in the Javelin are a bolt-in sub-assembly. The metal part of it would not have been painted at the same time as the shell of the car. There is really no reason for these assemblies to be colour matched since the interior trim panel covers it completely. I just found it odd that they were painted: a) body colour, and b) the wrong body colour.

From a manufacturing perspective, it would have made more sense to paint them all the same colour since they are hidden. It would save time needlessly matching windows to bodies (which they obviously didn't put a lot of effort into anyways) as well as keeping a range of paint colours on hand on the sub-assembly line.

I was unaware the scoops were part of the Go Package as Joe mentioned. They were certainly not included in the bigbad option. Bigbad was a $30 paint option which got you one of three special colours, colour matched bumpers and rear bumper guards (69 only) - no scoops, no roof spoiler, no simulated exhaust rocker trim. These were all options which came out about the same time as the bigbad paint (c January 69) and were often combined. Since many of the bigbad cars also have these other options, people seem to have concluded, wrongly, that the "mod pack" was all inclusive.  In reality, there was no "mod pack" option.

My Javelin has the vinyl seats with cloth inserts. Legendary did not have these covers in their catalogue, nor were they willing to add them - this was in 2001. I sourced some decent charcoal houndstooth cloth inserts and had the covers fabricated locally.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 12:10pm
Boy that Front Bumper Big Bad Anodized Aluminum Trim (edit, fixed) is like Gold Plated Hen's Teeth ain't it ?

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jan/17/2019 at 12:56pm
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 12:41pm
The Big Bad bumper trim is anodized aluminum, not stainless...
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic