TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

deciphering serial numbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: deciphering serial numbers
    Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 3:17pm
I have a 1965 American 330 wagon. Is there any data in trying to decipher what the serial number, production codelast two numbers in engine code (after the letter"c"), or sequential assembly number? Thanks
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 6:15pm
Not quite sure just WHAT your question is. In '65 the VIN number for Americans began with a "B". If you're talking about the engine code on the block, according to my info there is NO letter "C". The five number/letter combo is a date code and engine type. IE: 701A22 would be a 195.6 flat head built on Jan 22nd, 1965.   
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 6:27pm
The older engine coding system (prior to the day/date) code referenced by rocklandrambler above, did use the code C for a cast iron block and B for an aluminum block 195.6 engine.   The Code was stamped two ways.  Sometimes (very often) the C was the leading digit with the year/month/day of build coded after the C.   That might be the case on your engine.   Please give us the whole code and someone here can help you decipher it.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 7:45pm
'65 Americans with the 232 have a serial # beginning with "W".
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
65wagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 8:25pm
Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't very clear on my questions.

my engine number is 611C28

sequential assembly number is E069878

body style number is 039048

serial number starts with a P then 6 digits so I know it's a 196 motor

My 330 wagon has factory air, 2bbl carb, three speed manual, 3.7 rear gear, 5 leaf springs

so, I was trying to figure out what the sequential and body style numbers mean, along with the last two numbers of the engine code

thanks 
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2013 at 2:57am
I apologize as I realize some of my source material contains errors The 611C28 deciphers as a 195.6cid/138hp OHV 6cylinder built on 11/28/64. There is a chart elsewhere on the forum that will narrow down the assembly date for the vehicle using the sequential assembly number which is probably sometime in December of 64.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
65wagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2013 at 6:16am
Thanks for the feedback
Dave 64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave 64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2013 at 10:07pm
Hi All,

Came across this part of the forum whilst trying to get a bit of sense out of VIN numbers myself!

Although vehicle (DJ5D Postal) in Australia now, still has all original (I think, hope) U.S. numbers. On side of block has what looks like an engine identification number :- 804E22 , now if I have this worked out properly, the engine itself is a 232 built 22 April 1975 and has a single barrel carb. Correct so far? Now (for me at least) it gets a little confusing.
                On the ORIGINAL U.S. Compliance plate it states that the vehicle was assembled in the South Bend, Indiana in April 1975. The full number is DJ5D107487. There are also a few related stickers, partly obscured but seem more to relate to recalls for various minor malfunctions.

I tried to identify the auto transmission today, but don't know how to distinguish between the earlier used Borg Warner and the Torque Flite 727. Where the confusion comes in, is i was TOLD by someone or other that the AM General division had a habit of using OLD stock when it came to DJ postals. I have worked out it is indeed a 232 (unless of course it has had a transplant somewhere along the way, can't locate an actual engine number as such) although there is what appears to be a casting number of H6 and also a number which looks like 3224098. My eyes aren't the best any more.

I am trying to cross reference it with the CJ's built both in the US as well as the locally produced here, but feel that could be misleading in some ways as the Jeep seems to be a somewhat separate entity, although having many parts in common with the Am General postals. I would appreciate any help in finding out the exact component list of my particular vehicle. Doesn't seem to necessarily follow that AM general (who no longer have anything whatsoever to do with DJ's, or so I have been told), actually used the same engine/driveline components that there cousins over at the AMC/Jeep divisions did. It makes it somewhat easier if I can nail down the exact type of 232 engine (wide block later version, or earlier narrow block version) I am hoping that it runs true to form and IS the wide block version used in AMC/Jeep vehicles. Hoping someone can shed some light on those above supplied numbers. Probably a snack for someone who knows HOW and WHERE to look. A lot of you blokes seem to be pretty well on the ball so far, been of immense help already. Just don't want to do major teardown until I can positively identify ALL running gear. I do know that it has the common Dana 44 LSD, although with the wider spring positioning on it. Ratio tag has been torn off but assume being auto would be around the 3.31 with the 15 inch standard wheels.

Hoping someone can give me a chop out on yhis, Thanks again, Dave 64
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic