TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dashboard Swaps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashboard Swaps
    Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 5:48pm
Let's face it. The Hornet/Concord dash leaves something to be desired. Has anyone ever swapped out the Hornet dash with say a 71 through 74 dash. I expect the overall width might be different. Just a wild air I came up with
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 6:43pm
Something to be desired? Really? Well, I guess if you don't like it.......
Anyway, what about SCREW and brace positions, and how about the electrical parts that are connected - will you change wiring, too? Heater controls, duct work, etc. - considered that?
it's not just fit as far as width but there's fit to the firewall and other areas to consider and all that connects to or is in the dash structure itself.
I guess I never considered the dash to be ugly or lacking - 
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 7:55pm
Billd is absolutely correct, doing a dash swap for appearance is not so hard - but doing it for functionality is a big frikkin deal.

All that said, the coolest dash swap I've ever seen was on a 66 or so Rambler American Convertible, which had a complete 1996 (or so) Camaro dashboard installed. It was so good, it literally did look like the factory did it. and everything worked - because basically,the guy that did it swapped everything - motor, trans, steering and the complete HVAC setup. True, it was sad to not see it AMC powered, but the craftsmanship of the swap was absolutely stunning. When I asked him why he chose a Camaro dash, the answer - and this fits right with what both Billd and yourself said - was that when he did his junkyard measurements, the Camaro dash and the American dash were exactly the same width A pillar to A pillar.  the only cutting he had to do to the Camaro dash was with regard to the very rounded windshield on the Camaro and the square across the bottom glass of the Rambler.  I wish I still had pics of it. it was amazing.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 10:02pm
So what is so bad about a Hornet dash?  Wink

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 11:12pm
I agree. Saw that American convertible in Colorado and it looked factory !
Had the Camaro drive train, full interior and even the wheels.
Very unique and a work of mechanical art. Wonder where that car is now ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 5:52am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I agree. Saw that American convertible in Colorado and it looked factory !
Had the Camaro drive train, full interior and even the wheels.
Very unique and a work of mechanical art. Wonder where that car is now ?

it's still running around here....btw, he's picked up a sportabout, can't wait to see it done as I suspect it'll be "different";)

67 american 290/4speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2018 at 8:24am
If you mean swap a later model Concord dash with a 71-74 Hornet dash, everything should bolt in and be in the correct positions. Might have to do some bolt hole/screw alignment work, but the cars are so close to the same that the swap should be trivial. If you're talking about a different make/model dash, well, that will take a lot of work and patience! I've seen it done, the American convert mentioned comes to mind, it just takes a lot of careful measuring and planning first. And a big dose of patience!
Frank Swygert
Spin Doctor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spin Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

So what is so bad about a Hornet dash?  Wink

Parts of it are fine. The bottom of it is the disaster. That shelf idea never should have lasted as long as it did.
I suspect that between similar size cars from the same manufacturer there is a lot of things such as wiring harnesses and such that would be pretty much the same. I never said it would be a piece of cake. Would mounting brackets and attachment points be the same?. Given that AMC loved to use as many parts between cars as possible it does seem possible. How different are the firewalls between the Hornet and Javelin.
Production toolng is not cheap. The tooling for the Javelins not to mention the extra tooling for the AMX might not of ever payed for itself between sales and service parts. Given the small number not '67 Marlins built (probably the third best looking car AMC ever built). They sure didn't pay off their tooling costs. The quarter panels for the Javelins needed 4 or five dies for each side. A draw die for the initial basic shape. Trim dies plus the dies needed for the holes that various fasteners go through. This is the thing that drives the use of parts across as many models as possible when they are the parts in the background. Z
74 Hornet, 75 Pacer, 68 AMX, 77 Hornet, 82 Concord, 84 Wagoneer
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2018 at 7:32pm
Personally, I liked the shelf.
I was thinking of adapting one to my 66 American.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2018 at 8:40am
The Javelin is a bit wider than the Hornet. I thin k that will be the biggest hurdle. I'm sure it has different attaching points as well. Most of the bodies were different between models, with only mechanical parts interchanging across models. An exception is the Hornet/Gremlin/Concord/Spirit/Eagle lines, but they are all obviously based on the same basic body. Big cars shared a lot of parts as the Ambo and Classic/Rebel/Matador also shared basic bodies. The 64-69 Americans shared some body parts with the 63-66 Classic/Ambo, but only a select few. Doors are the same stampings, but there are major differences -- window frames and outer skins are different, making interchanging between them difficult as there are a lot of mods to be made, but it can be done. Saved some money at the factory level though as it deleted at least one large die -- which as you pointed out is a major savings.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic