TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

dashboard/ instrument panel Q's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14th eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dashboard/ instrument panel Q's
    Posted: Nov/12/2014 at 10:01pm
it's a little early for me to be asking these questions, but i guess since i've got all my parts sorted for the mechanicals and am waiting on them to come in, i suppose my mind's racing lol...

so anyway... has anyone had any luck finding full NOS panels? mine not only has a little crack over the weather eye, but the speedo/ odometer has some mechanical issues. before i took it off the road i replaced the speedo gear as the old one was chewed to bits. upon installation it became clear that the issue was not on that end, but with the odometer itself. i *think* my '65 is a sealed unit and i don't want to buy one with any mileage on it if i can't reset it. also, the printed circuit is a mess.

soo, since this project is more of a rest-mod, i'm considering junking it all and fabricating my own instrument panel. as much as that might be easier and i want to re-do the electrical anyway, i don't really want to lose the look of the original instrument panel.

thoughts? (like i said i'm just plugging around still, no mind is made up and i value each and every opinion ;) )
1965 rambler american 330 - first father/ son project! help us learn together ;) <--- scratch that. there's no computer in it, so he's not interested haha
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 3:01am
Forum member Rambling On down in Australia modified a '66 American cluster to work with his '65 American 440. Go to http://theamcforum.com/forum/1965-american-440h-hardtop-inport_topic51195_page14.html Starting on page 8 of his project thread deals with the cluster conversion.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
14th eagle View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14th eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 9:38am
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Forum member Rambling On down in Australia modified a '66 American cluster to work with his '65 American 440. Go to http://theamcforum.com/forum/1965-american-440h-hardtop-inport_topic51195_page14.html Starting on page 8 of his project thread deals with the cluster conversion.

wow that car is GORGEOUS!

that chrome/ white gauge panel is cool as heck too - might be just what i'm looking for. thanks!!

1965 rambler american 330 - first father/ son project! help us learn together ;) <--- scratch that. there's no computer in it, so he's not interested haha
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14th eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 2:22pm
well, i've gotten this far... next step is to try and remove that bastard nut holding the defroster assembly in place

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 5:16pm
Why are you removing the defroster assy??? What is it you're trying to accomplish??
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 14th eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by rocklandrambler rocklandrambler wrote:

Why are you removing the defroster assy??? What is it you're trying to accomplish??

just the plastic ducts/ venting. cleared up space behind the instrument cluster so i could get out the old one and have some room to work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic