TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dash lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash lights
    Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 9:50pm
Still no luck on the dash light   The dome switch has three prongs and four wires going in I tested them and the prong that has two wires going into it does not have power not sure if that is normal or do I need a new switch  I tested the wires that go into the back of the dash and shows no power Does the dash have a separate power  supply's The light switch I tested works ok any help would be great thanks Bob      
Freedom is Riding in my 73 Javelin
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 8:49pm
Ok, I was hoping someone would pop back with info.

My info is to give some insight to guide what you may not have touched upon.

Here is a test you can do with doors closed, followed by some checks.

Set it switch on the dome light. If dome light works, then the problem could be the ground to the chassis that the dash lights are connected to. It is isolated from the body, so it requires a ground wire.

It may be loose, cut or disconnected.

If dome does not light up, check with park lights on, and test each connection at the connector for voltage. There should be at least one with power. If not, disconnect the headlight switch connector and reconnect, then test again.

Not sure about your year and may help in looking a wee further. My year has orange wires for the dash lights. If you can remove the connector and ohm the orange wire connector it should be very low resistance. Below 100 ohms. If greater like above 10k ohms, assuming you have good ground, a break between the connector and dash lights may be the problem. Meaning a possible cut or pinch, but most likely corrosion keeping good contact from switch to bulbs.

Not sure but my year uses a sub harness connector to connect the dash lights to the main harness if that connector if used in your year, may also cause an issue by light corrosion. A simple disconnection and reconnection should allow electrical contact at the pins.

With knowing a simple task of disconnecting and reconnecting a connector that is part of the system in question may be all that is needed. Just identifying the full path and working from beginning to end of where the voltage travels.

I think i have covered what may assist in identifying the issue.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 2:57pm
Got your PM, found it helpful in figuring put where your problem is. So far it looks like your ground wire to the instrument panel is not connected. Gave info on what you can do to remedy it.

Your gauges circuit board and voltages to the dome light should be fine, just missing the critical ground path for many things to function with the instrument panel and switches.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
sherlock View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 10:26am
First off thanks for all the help it was great. Second  turns out that it was the circuit board that's no good so now I am on the hunt for a good one I hope I can find one close by  so thanks again for your help Bob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by sherlock sherlock wrote:

First off thanks for all the help it was great. Second  turns out that it was the circuit board that's no good so now I am on the hunt for a good one I hope I can find one close by  so thanks again for your help Bob

Geeze, a bad circuit board. Though that would be two issues if dome light finally worked with the instrument light switch.

At the time it only worked with the door switch.

So I guess your ground at the switch and light panel is good now.

For a new replacement circuit board, ebay has them, but you may request a good used one here in the wanted section.

I assume your inline pin header has loose or broken contacts to keep from powering to the bulbs for the instruments

I guess I guess focused more on the dome light, thinking if it don't come on, the instrument lights won't either. I should have asked if the panel lights along the switches light up, then I could have been more exact with how far to go with troubleshooting.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
sherlock View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 3:32pm
You where right about the pin I lost part of the lights but there is also  a break in the  circuit board 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by sherlock sherlock wrote:

You where right about the pin I lost part of the lights but there is also  a break in the 
circuit board 

Ah, well I am sure you will get some offers if you post a 72 to 74 Javelin circuit board, 71 is slightly different that it has a pin for 71 low fuel warning. Some may price it higher as I think the 72 on up circuit boards are only being reproduced, unless that has changed, where all are done like the 71. It would be extra cost to have two diff runs for something not requested much.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic