TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dang Car Refuses to Start! (AMC360)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 7:56pm

Rotate the engine until the rotor lines up with the #1 plug wire, if at that point the timing marks are in range, then replace the plugs, they are likely gas glazed.

SKeown 
Bill_Martin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Does this car have a manual tranny?

Steve

3 speed auto
Bill Martin

http://drnoise.org
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 9:48pm
Was thinking you could bump start it. With and auto you'd have to get it up to 25 or 30 and drop it in Drive to bump start.

Steve
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 11:47pm
Read what Fuzz said. The fact that it won't start after only sitting for a little while and isn't cranking over quick, makes it sound like it has compression and probably isn't timing related. No need to throw parts at it or dig into the distributor yet, especially if you have spark.

1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Compression

How did you verify it's getting fuel? Just because fuel is in the bowl doesn't mean it's getting into the motor. You say sometimes it sounds like it wants to turn over too. Spray some carb cleaner into the intake and see if there is any difference. Check spark at the plug wire. 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 9:09am
An auto transmission needs a rear pump to be able to bump start.
I do not believe a 74 has one.

Anyway, it looks like a timing issue.
Cam timing (skipped or broken timing chain) being my #1 suspect.
Distrubuter gear being #2.

Gremlin Dreams
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 9:30am
I agree with Skeown.  Pull the plugs.  Your points probably closed due to wear and then you cranked it until you fouled the plugs.  You can check timing issue by putting the timing marks at 10 degrees or so, and then pulling the distributor cap.  Rotor should aim in the general direction of either #1 or #6 spark plug wire.  
BB

rockAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 11:23am
Points and condenser if you don't have electronic ignition. Also if you have a yellow wire going to the starter relay on the firewall, check that it has continuity to the positive wire at the coil. I forgot to plug mine into the starter relay once and I encountered the same problem you have.
DWR
1968 AMX

Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

An auto transmission needs a rear pump to be able to bump start.
I do not believe a 74 has one.

Anyway, it looks like a timing issue.
Cam timing (skipped or broken timing chain) being my #1 suspect.
Distrubuter gear being #2.

No, a '74 doesn't. It looks like the cars I have started had rear pumps or some other solid connection between drivetrain and engine (semi-auto Beetle with clutch and converter or an AMX with a Clutchflite) and a '72 XJ6 with a variation of the BW M-35 with front and rear pumps.

It sounds like the motor is cranking fast enough or the spark isn't strong enough which bump starting overcomes usually.

Steve
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 4:20pm
As I have explained to my son, when deducing a problem start with the easiest, then cheapest things first. Well it sounds like that has been done, except for replacing the spark plugs I had a stock sbc that wouldn't start. Replaced the plugs and it started. Hopefully new plugs will be the fix here.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2014 at 6:44pm
THe first and easiest thing I do with something like this is pull the number 1 plug and crank it with your finger over the hole. Stop it as close to top dead center as you can and check to see if the rotor is pointed at the number one terminal on the distributor cap. That would point you in the direction of a timing problem.

I have had the brass contact on the rotor rotate when a locating tab on the rotor broke. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic