TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dang Car Refuses to Start! (AMC360)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dang Car Refuses to Start! (AMC360)
    Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 1:21pm
Mmkay.  So my 74 Javelin's bein' a dick.

I brought it across the state last week to my parents place.  Car ran fine and strong.  Very healthy motor.  Turned it off, went inside for a little while.  Got ready to leave and it refused to start and hasn't started since.

We checked the spark, spark was there, checked the fuel delivery...was all good.  Carb wasn't the problem, the Fuel pump appears to be throwing more than enough fuel (checked with the line off to make sure of course).

So I changed, today, the points & condenser along with the coil just in case since it was still the original in the car.

Put it all back together.  Spark is now stronger than ever... still will not start.  It's showing no signs it even wants to.

Spark plugs, far as I know, are new as of the last few months (I only just bought the car).

I can't think of anything else.  I mean, I should at this point take the plugs out and let the car dry out a bit....I'm sure it's probably flooded, but outside of that...any ideas fellas?  Is there something I might be overlooking that's easy?  Or perhaps something big I'm overlooking that's not so easy?

Thanks much!
Bill Martin

http://drnoise.org
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 1:24pm
Skiped a timing chain?
Gremlin Dreams
Bill_Martin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 1:27pm
I mean, I guess that's possible, but I've never experienced that before, so I wouldn't know.

The car ran great and then just all at one wouldn't start the next time I tried.

Still turns over completely normal.  Sometimes tries to kick into starting, but just doesn't seem to have it in it to get all the way there.  Like a guy in his 90's trying to get up from a couch but then decides...eh, screw it. lol

Bill Martin

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 2:01pm
throw a timing light on it.
If you can't get a line near the cover markings
pull the drivers side valve cover.
Within a couple of degrees see if the valve over
lap is nearly at tdc 360 degrees from tdc #1.

Spark, fuel and no fire on a motor that ran good
makes me think timing gears and chain.
Gremlin Dreams
Bill_Martin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

throw a timing light on it.
If you can't get a line near the cover markings
pull the drivers side valve cover.
Within a couple of degrees see if the valve over
lap is nearly at tdc 360 degrees from tdc #1.

When it comes to that kinda stuff I'd "need an adult" to help me out.

I'm still questioning the distributor as a whole a bit, it's pretty ancient, but hey I dunno honestly.  I'd just find it really weird for there to be a timing gear/chain issue just all at once after I shut it off.

But, it's never happened to me before, so what do I know about it, ya know?

I think best I can do is take the distrib out and check everything out.  It was pretty ugly when I popped the cap off.  Looks like it's been in there since it was born.  Given it's only an 89K motor, I'd imagine it probably is the original.

I don't have the smarts to do a timing gear/chain job, that's for sure.  I got friends who could if that ends up being the case (to which they will get pizza and booze)... but hopefully it's not the case. lol.
Bill Martin

amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 2:40pm
Check the dizzy gear on the dist as it may be bad and jumped a tooth. dist may still turn. crank engine with cap off and see if the rotor turns free. I have seen a complete set of plugs go all at once if they fouled out and it is hard to see looking at them. I would try new plugs
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 3:19pm
Billy, How you doing. Check the grounds. There should be a couple on the fire wall plus one across the motor mount. Some times they get crusty and short out , but look good. LRDaum
LRDaum
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 3:29pm
OK before you go pulling everything apart and maybe make it worst lets go back and check a few things.
You need fuel, spark & air for it to run.

If it is cranking and sound normal I would say it is getting air. You can use a timing light to check that the chain has not jumped just for S&G’s.

You said it is getting fuel. So with the cleaner lid off and you look down inside the carb and give it gas you see it squirt? If so then yes getting fuel and you can try pouring a little in the carb to see if it will fire off. Even try a little starting fluid.

Now on to this spark thing. Where are you checking for spark? Is it at the coil and you see the spark jump from coil to the wire? Coil wire to dist cap? Cap to plug wire?
You need to check spark at the plug(s) pull a plug or 2 lay it on the motor and crank it over and you should see the spark jump the plug gap. If it has good spark you can sometimes hear it “SNAP”!
If not the spark is finding a path to ground before it gets to the plug(s). Could be a bad rotor under the cap or bad plug wires. I have even seen bad plugs that look new (running lean) not fire (miss when running) so maybe throw a set of plugs in it.

That is how I would go about getting it to run.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
kidgrem View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidgrem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 3:37pm
Unhook the battery. Pull the distributor cap.
Turn the motor over by hand forwards and backwards.
The rotor should move with the crank.
If not you could have jumped the chain or trashed a dist gear.

Sometimes moisture gets in  under the cap and points  a shot of WD40 can dry it out.

Dump a little gas down the carb and try to start see if its really getting gas to the engine.

leaving the key on can burn up points and condensers.

Take the distributor bolt loose enough to turn the distributor,  crank the engine wile turning it a little bit both ways.  Keep your hand off the wires.

Cranking the engine in the dark is a good way to see if any wires are shorted.
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 6:18pm
Does this car have a manual tranny?

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic