TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Damper fitment question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damper fitment question
    Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 8:29am
I have been in a quandary about not being able to fit my balancer on a 71 304 crank, yet it fits nicely on a 68 390 crank. Are all v8 cranks the same diameter on the snout?

I am contemplating to have the damper honed out to fit the 304, so I can finish up my test fitting.

If I do so, then my 390 crank will be off on its fitment.

What should I do? If the 390 crank is not standard on its snout, then correcting it when machined will be looked at. Seems like a bit of work just to do an odd fitment test, which will be fitted to the 390 once its done and installed.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 10:06am
OEM or aftermarket is the next question. Most aftermarket ones will press fit on nicely .Some are NOT machined correct. Which one do you have and most people will chime in on this. Jim
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by 401jim 401jim wrote:

OEM or aftermarket is the next question. Most aftermarket ones will press fit on nicely .Some are NOT machined correct. Which one do you have and most people will chime in on this. Jim

It is an aftermarket... Though my main concern is the difference between crank snouts. If the damper fits the a 68 crank perfectly as I need a puller to remove once installed. Hate to modify a 68 snout if it is supposed to be a wee smaller diameter. Have no engine specs for 68, nor a means to accurately measure both cranks and damper.

I guess the more I think about it, the more it am tossing fitment aside for its intended use, to modify both damper and 68 crank to fit 71 on up specs for cross compatibility.

Just thought it was going to be a no brainer... as they fit fine, why make more work of it? Only if someone knows for sure 68 cranks do have a slightly smaller snout. If not, then correcting it will be done, and boring the damper to fit as well.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 10:16pm
If all else is equal then fit the damper. It is the easier replacement part. Just like engines of the day, you find one cylinder with a 0.010" over piston or a rod/crank bearing 0.010" under. AMC were cutting losses and cost. You can still find this today but generally they under size or overbore all components if the CNC has run a fowl before caught.
Go for the easiest fix - that's what AMC did at the factory.
Perfect is in the eyes of the beholder and if anyone thinks that AMC produced anything as perfect as a modern restoration they should give their head a shake.  
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 10:59pm
might take a ball hone and give it a couple hits it might help
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Lyle Lyle wrote:

If all else is equal then fit the damper. It is the easier replacement part. Just like engines of the day, you find one cylinder with a 0.010" over piston or a rod/crank bearing 0.010" under. AMC were cutting losses and cost. You can still find this today but generally they under size or overbore all components if the CNC has run a fowl before caught.
Go for the easiest fix - that's what AMC did at the factory.
Perfect is in the eyes of the beholder and if anyone thinks that AMC produced anything as perfect as a modern restoration they should give their head a shake.  

Yep, that is what I intended but the 71 crank threw a spanner into the works.

Maybe if I get ambitious, i will disconnect the flexplate and decouple the tranny, pull the pan, remove the rods and pistons, and drop the crank, to swap the 390 crank into my 304 block and finish up a final fitment with engine accessories, to button up a pending task.

A bit of work, but no machining required. Never thought I'd be too lazy to think to do all that would be a lot.

Thanks for boosting my wee little voice telling me just leave be alone and be happy.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic