TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - cylinder pits, suggestions? Machine Shop report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cylinder pits, suggestions? Machine Shop report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:20am
AMC did factory .010 overbore and on Gen 2 engines it was denoted as a B stamped in the valve cover tag.   I would NOT recommend a Moly ring is engines that are not used frequently, they are very slow to break in after installation.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:41am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

.....I would NOT recommend a Moly ring is engines that are not used frequently, they are very slow to break in after installation.

This surprises me.  I've always used moly rings in everything because of the alleged durability of chrome with the seating characteristics of cast.  In fact the Sealed Power web description states one of the advantages of moly is fast break in.  Or am I missing something here?

http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com/en-US/Brands/Sealed-Power/Pages/Product-Details.aspx?BrandId=35&SubCategoryId=47&ProductId=568#.VZPtM1JK_gI
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 9:15am
I put a 401 +.030 years ago with Moly Rings and it didn't slow the oil consumption until about 10K miles....about 1 1/2 qt every 3K miles, then used no oil. My brother ran a large automotive engine re-man (they did about 40 engines of all kinds a week)and install facility...they also saw much worse oil use issues at low mileage when installing Moly Rings....which was a big warranty issue. After consulting with several other builders, they all said to go back to straight up cast iron....especially in low use applications...like older car restorations. The break in can vary greatly with the microfinish of the cylinder bore, break in oil type and brand of ring package. So I have always moved to the safe side, lets face it MOST restorations will see little miles. I asked my friend that is Chief Designer at Keith Black Piston (United Engine) about this too and he agreed that in most applications Moly Ring has little benefits and customers complaints about Blue Smoke at idle on fresh engines is not easy to explain to folks not technical on reciprocating engines. He also said the Moly Ring Technology has change dramatically since it's introduction (for the better).   His (and mine) opinion is run a Normal Cast Iron Ring for a stock piston....in performance applications where rotating friction needs (you want) to be low, moly ring combined with a moly coated piston are great combinations. One last thing....he mentioned too, DO NOT RUN Full Synthetic Oil for at least one oil change on cast iron rings and maybe 2 on modern Moly Ring...that low friction lubricant will never allow the rings to break in. Your experience may vary...but after number 100 AMC Gen 2 engine under my belt this is what I have seen......another reason I will not patch a problem fresh built engine by another mechanic. It is a no win situation for you or the customer.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 9:32am
I rebuilt a Porsche flat six engine 20 years or so ago and I remember everyone suggesting to use straight 30 weight oil during break in. I did and it seemed to work good. I now use 20w-50 in that motor and it still runs great.

I've seen jugs of break in oil, wonder if they are just single 30SAE? Straight weight oil is kinda hard to find these days. I always run it in my lawnmowers.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 11:36am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

I put a 401 +.030 years ago with Moly Rings and it didn't slow the oil consumption until about 10K miles....about 1 1/2 qt every 3K miles, then used no oil. My brother ran a large automotive engine re-man (they did about 40 engines of all kinds a week)and install facility...they also saw much worse oil use issues at low mileage when installing Moly Rings....which was a big warranty issue. After consulting with several other builders, they all said to go back to straight up cast iron....especially in low use applications...like older car restorations. The break in can vary greatly with the microfinish of the cylinder bore, break in oil type and brand of ring package. So I have always moved to the safe side, lets face it MOST restorations will see little miles. I asked my friend that is Chief Designer at Keith Black Piston (United Engine) about this too and he agreed that in most applications Moly Ring has little benefits and customers complaints about Blue Smoke at idle on fresh engines is not easy to explain to folks not technical on reciprocating engines. He also said the Moly Ring Technology has change dramatically since it's introduction (for the better).   His (and mine) opinion is run a Normal Cast Iron Ring for a stock piston....in performance applications where rotating friction needs (you want) to be low, moly ring combined with a moly coated piston are great combinations. One last thing....he mentioned too, DO NOT RUN Full Synthetic Oil for at least one oil change on cast iron rings and maybe 2 on modern Moly Ring...that low friction lubricant will never allow the rings to break in. Your experience may vary...but after number 100 AMC Gen 2 engine under my belt this is what I have seen......another reason I will not patch a problem fresh built engine by another mechanic. It is a no win situation for you or the customer.

Ross, thanks for a detailed, thorough explanation.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

This is an AMC 327. They don't grow on trees any more. We need to save what block are still out there and save as much material on them as possible.

Amen.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:36pm
Knew a crusty old timer that was a great farm truck car tractor boat mechanic kinda guy that could hear the knock or kill the spark Ina cylinder and tell ya where the piston was cracked the wrist pin loose or the rod bearing was loose. You know the old guy that smoked lucky strikes without filters and cleaned his greasy hands with Wesson oil not orange goop. He told me when I saw porous stuff like that to take a carpenters lead pencil and color in the pick marks and after running it in the holes would fill in. I also watched him stop old glazed up motors from smoking hy running Bon ami or Ajax water mix through theoyor to break the glaze on the cylinder walls.   He's the kinda guy that they made 002 under rod and main bearings for back in the day when you rolled your giggles and drank rolling rock and ate pickled eggs
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 8:47pm
my car came from a guy like that! He said if the rod bearings were too warn just slip a few pieces of newspaper under them and go with it. He certainly seemed right more times than he was wrong. He's 96 years old now. I hope I can get this all back together in time to take him for a ride.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 6:15am
The pitting won't affect a thing, I've puled old Ramblers out of the woods that had pitting in every cylinder and run them. No more oil use than you'd expect from a 100K or so engine... no more than a quart between changes (3K changes), which was considered normal back in the day even for a healthy engine. That vertical gouge might cause a little compression loss, but it's so far up it would be negligible. That cylinder might use a little more oil than the others, but not enough to worry about.

The tightness would worry me more. Make sure the crank is round and the right size bearings are in, and installed right. I've seen an engine where the crank wasn't turned and oversize bearings were put in after the owner measured the crank... or at least one or two of the journals. Uneven wear, or the guy didn't know how to read calipers, or maybe just didn't think 0.001-0.002 meant much...
Frank Swygert
amc401t10 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc401t10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 8:27am
My 2 cents- moly rings for a fresh bore and hone are fine.
If on a budget, and doing a home shop hone,cast rings will be easier to seal on a not perfect cylinder.
1-owner 74 gremlin x 401, t10,3.73 12 bolt,750carb,reed 250@50 cam, roller rockers,msd,offy int.
72 amc matador 401 727
84 j10 ,360, 727
1970 4-door rebel sleeper(455 pontiac,turbo 400)
79 spirit,4.2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic