TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crush Collar for pinion in AMC 15 rear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crush Collar for pinion in AMC 15 rear?
    Posted: Feb/09/2010 at 7:42pm
Gremlin's 40th birthday means, she gets a new rear end!  Grin  Unfortunately, we can't locate a crush sleeve for the pinion shaft.  I have a NAPA and a Lordco parts place available to me. Lordco says No can do, NAPA is looking.

A few years ago when we did the AMC 20 in my Javelin, we found a crush collar for that. Are crush collars interchangeable between rears or is there another similar part we can use?  I suppose we can re-use the old one if push comes to shove, but I'd rather not.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
BassBoat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BassBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2010 at 8:52pm

Try a call to Ratech. 

BB
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2010 at 9:38pm
Or call Jeep vendors?
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2010 at 11:50am
Or check with the AMC vendors.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
rmxauto View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmxauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 10:58am
The crush sleeve for a Dana 35 from the rear end of a 98 Grand Cherokee w/4.0 fits it. I still had to get one from the local Dodge/Jeep dealer.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Gremlin's 40th birthday means, she gets a new rear end!  Grin  Unfortunately, we can't locate a crush sleeve for the pinion shaft.  I have a NAPA and a Lordco parts place available to me. Lordco says No can do, NAPA is looking.

A few years ago when we did the AMC 20 in my Javelin, we found a crush collar for that. Are crush collars interchangeable between rears or is there another similar part we can use?  I suppose we can re-use the old one if push comes to shove, but I'd rather not.
I assume your upgrading to a AMC 20? If you are the crush sleeve for a Ford 9" and Ford 8.8" is the exact part a AMC 20 rearend uses. 

Tom 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 12:53pm
For reference, may help in your search, from 67-72 Parts Manual, it is possible to replace the Crush Sleeve with a Spacer and Shims, also available from RaTech iirc, as mentioned in Performance American Style, if so desired.

This place shows $2.99 and in stock:

Edited by PHAT69AMX - May/10/2019 at 12:55pm
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 4:40pm
And if worse comes to better, if you have the old one, take it to a machine shop and ask them to make a solid sleeve 0.005" smaller (length). Then buy some shim stock of various sizes and make shims (you can cut 0.010" and less shim stock with scissors). Adjust/torque to your hearts content and get the pinion perfectly square every time.
I never use crush sleeves. Seen to many "crushed" and not square.
 One time use junk, my opinion.
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 5:57pm
Crush sleeves are all about speed and cost reduction in manufacturing. Ideally you use a solid spacer and forget the idea of using shim stock stock as it will eventually get beat out in that application.

Tom 
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 6:23pm
Have to agree Tom.
But steel or SS shim will only distort 0.0001" and brass 0.0003" IF reused multiple times.
I make one final sleeve myself, but also have the tools to do it.
Average "person" would be ecstatic at ideal specification within 0.001".
Just saying.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic