TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Crower Crankshaft & Rods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crower Crankshaft & Rods?
    Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 7:03pm
There's a guy here claiming he has AMC 401 Crower steel crankshaft and 401 steel rods. They are internal balanced, 401 AMC rod journal size and a set of Crower rods with standard  stock pin diameter. All parts have been magnafluxed. Bit pricey. I would fit them in a 401 standard bore 71 block. I have a 73 TH400 from a Jeep that I would use. Back in the day did  Crower ever make engine parts for AMC? I went to Crower's website PDF file and nothing is offered for AMCs. Crank is stamped   198CROWER3680 and off to the side A7512. He wants $1,500. Is this a scam?
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 7:50pm
It will cost you over $2000 today just to buy an offshore billet crank for a 401 and more for an American made crank. A used factory 401 crank is around $700 plus $600 for Chinese rods. So depending on what condition it's in $1500 is probably a very fair price.

Tom
spiritdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiritdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 7:20am
They definitely made rods that were very high quality.
spiritdude
spiritdude
1982 Spirit-10.865 @123.16mph
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 8:05am
Are they aftermarket Crower rods,
or factory rods with a "Crower" crank?

If Crower did crank work on a factory crank would they stamp "Crower" on it?

What you're describing could be anything from a custom built Crower 401 Crank and Rods for circle track, or whatever (I've never heard of them doing that tho),
to a factory crank and rods that, at some point at least the crank went through Crower for some work.

What does the owner say about where it came from and what it is?
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 9:25am
It's a bargain if you need it.
Gremlin Dreams
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 10:12am
Well, he must have decided to go eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Crower-Crank-and-Rods/352492193361?hash=item52122c0651:g:06oAAOSwHStby-48:rk:70:pf:0&vxp=mtr
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Well, he must have decided to go eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-Crower-Crank-and-Rods/352492193361?hash=item52122c0651:g:06oAAOSwHStby-48:rk:70:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Yowza!

That's a bargain at $1500 if it fits your needs!
Malory balanced, possibly aftermarket(!) crank,
aftermarket rods, and those pistons 

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 10:47am
looking again,
maybe that is just a stock 72-78 crank balanced with Mallory Metal (flange looks stock),

and those look like they're a wee bit on the high comoression side of things LOL

but someone sunk some money in that setup.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 1:53pm
After I became interested in the crankshaft he posted everything on eBay. I'm guessing these parts were for a marine application. The pistons look too extreme for street use. I left a message with the seller for more information on the parts. I recently discovered Crower might have offered in the late 60's a 426 stroker crank/rods/pistons package and wonder if this may be it. I'm only getting out the popcorn not the credit card in the final minutes of the ebay auction.  
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2018 at 5:24pm
Seller called and said the 401 build was to be a drag race engine running on alcohol with 15:1  pistons, Crower cam and rods. PM me if you need his Ph #.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic