TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Craftsmans Chinese Crapola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 2:24pm
I've been in the bodyshop biz for many years and the best buffer we've found is the Dewalt DW849.  Over 5 years of use and not one problem and its made in the good ole USA !!!
67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
aus-cattle-dog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aus-cattle-dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2010 at 8:21pm
i have a craftsman 20 gallon air compresser that still looks new after 4 years but it just got a pinhole in the bottom of the tank i drain it once a week but maybe that is not enough.
83 cherokee                 red heeler        austrailian cattle dog           
Felginator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felginator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 11:03am
Most of my tool collection is Craftsman, and I haven't had any failures due to bad products, just my abuse. I've only broken a few screwdrivers using them as pry bars and a 1/2" ratchet. I just bring them back to the store and get brand new ones. I just can't afford the Snap-On brand prices, their tools are top notch though.
1965 Ambassador 990
1965 Marlin
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Felginator Felginator wrote:

Most of my tool collection is Craftsman, and I haven't had any failures due to bad products, just my abuse. I've only broken a few screwdrivers using them as pry bars and a 1/2" ratchet. I just bring them back to the store and get brand new ones. I just can't afford the Snap-On brand prices, their tools are top notch though.
Your chances of breaking a snap on is much less..............what I especially dislike about craftsman is their wrenches.................but I know people buy craftsman........including me.
sidewinder View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidewinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2010 at 3:44pm
I've been buying certain tools at harbor freight and have had no problems at all.   I have a nice buffer that I use all the time on stainless etc.....paid like $45.00 for it  1/2HP and a stand for $20.00
Would never hold up for every day but for my shop....can't beat it!! 
Chuck Page ,AKA Sidewinder
1968 "BLACK CHERRY" Javelin
Previous owner of 2013 Heritage Cup winner 1970 BBO AMX

crazy4amc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy4amc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2010 at 8:22am

I too have tons of craftsman tools and I also buy the Harbor Freight "JUNK" when I plan very light duty use, however I do agree some of the power tools ain't what they used to be. I bought a new tablesaw from sears 4 years ago and the entire body of the saw is plastic, and even though I prefer it that way so I can keep it on the truck and load and unload easily I have to wonder how long before something warps and it no longer cuts true. I even bought an extended warranty because of the work I bought it for could ruin its trueness and the salesman said I would have to replace it if it started running off since the new plastic models weren't adjustable. I have no complaints with it, however its sad that the other tablesaw I have from the 70's from sears is still better than this one. Also, I bought a second backup compressor from sears about the same time and it clearly states MADE IN CHINA, my old craftsman still runs and is 20 years old, still its sad that sears has come to this. THe harbor freight miter saw I own aggrevates me because it is 1 to 2 degrees off and makes it impossible to get good fitting joints for picture frames. Sad, Sad, Sad.

Crazy4amc
The Anti-Chrysler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anti-Chrysler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2010 at 9:32am
In the late 90's Craftsman offered a very nice line of fully polished endwrenches, ala Snap On.  I bought a set of both standard and long pattern and have been most happy with them. However I lost one, and when I went get a new one, the line had changed. The new ones are crap. Poorly finished (compared to the old ones), thick and clunky in the wrong places. Luckily I found the one I needed at a yardsale.
Nowadays, I buy most of my tools from an industrial supply house.
AMC PackRat View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC PackRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2010 at 5:13pm
I can imagine the quality of Craftsman stuff has steadily deteriorated over the years - pretty much like everything else.  Embarrassed   I have a 20 gallon Craftsman air compressor I bought in the late 70s and still use it just about every day (works just fine - even has the original belt on it).  Big smile   I have a couple sets of wrenches and screwdrivers plus other odds and ends.  Most of my stuff is older(but bought new), and like some of you other guys I'll pick up an older Craftsman tool at a yard sale or swap meet if it's in good condition.  I've never really owned any of their power tools, though, and it's nice to know they're just about as crappy as any of the others - I'll probably lean towards another manufacturer on those.  Wink   I'm not really happy with their push mowers at all.  I bought one with a Tecumsa engine and it quit running after the first year - it's been in the garage attic ever since (10 years). 

***Edit***  Oh yeah - don't forget that crappy leaf blower that I bought that only lasted about 1 1/2 seasons . . . .  .   Angry     

Edited by AMC PackRat - Apr/23/2010 at 5:15pm
Pat.... View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat.... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2010 at 10:22pm
All of my tools are Craftsman and I'm pretty happy with them. Recently I needed a set of flare nut wrenches and went to the local Sears store to get them.  $30 for 3

I didn't even think to look at where they were made, after all they are Craftsman. I DID look when I got home. Made In China!!!!

I got back in the car and took 'em back. The guy says well they are made to Craftsman specs you know. I don't believe that for a second.
I refuse to pay premium price for Made In China. They have yet to prove to me that they produce anything but dollar store quality.

I went and bought a set of Gray wrenches, Made In USA :)  $30

1949 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1949 Chrysler Windsor
1956 Nash Rambler Custom
1962 Dodge D300
1975 Champion Motorhome on Dodge Chassis
1994 Econoline
2000 Dodge Caravan
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2010 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Pat.... Pat.... wrote:

All of my tools are Craftsman and I'm pretty happy with them. Recently I needed a set of flare nut wrenches and went to the local Sears store to get them.  $30 for 3

I didn't even think to look at where they were made, after all they are Craftsman. I DID look when I got home. Made In China!!!!

I got back in the car and took 'em back. The guy says well they are made to Craftsman specs you know. I don't believe that for a second.
I refuse to pay premium price for Made In China. They have yet to prove to me that they produce anything but dollar store quality.

I went and bought a set of Gray wrenches, Made In USA :)  $30

And I can tell you that the craftman flarenut wrenches are junk.  I have a set of 3 and they are the most useless wrenches I have ever seen.  they rounded the corners of the nuts, and I dont even use them. I went to cornwell and yeah they cost alot more but they do the job. and thats what I want, when I use a tool it simply has to do the job.  If it doesnt, what good is it?  thats what craftman is to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic