TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Cracked head

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2018 at 5:39pm
Several 282 heads have been for sale on the Club Rambler Mexico Facebook page. Just find one that is not cracked, get it redone and go with that. They are cheap. 
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2018 at 6:55pm
I got my head back from reducing the height to increase compression ratio and the port out.

I am finally able to see and take pictures of the crack. Starting at one of the cooling ducts.

I'll have my mechanic check it out and see what can be done about it. I've confirmed this crack was already there before I had the head ported and reduced in height.

The mechanic that worked on it told me that with just the head gasket I'll be fine without any risk of leaks, but if I can have it fixed right away I'd rather do that now that the head is off the car.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Sep/29/2018 at 6:58pm
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2018 at 9:34pm
Yes this can be fixed.
Obvious, looks to propagate from the stud hole through the water jacket and move between the center.

I would tend towards brazing this instead of welding. two reasons 1) welding will likely propagate the crack further and 2) warpage in the center of the head.

Find the end of the crack and shallow drill a 3/16" hole, then taper grind the crack out to the stud, preheat the head to 330 to 400°F and then braze from the drilled hole out to the stud.

Finish with files and check head for flat or better, mill 0.010" off.

This is what I would do, others may have other/better options.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic