TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

CRACKED BLOCK TORQUING HEAD BOLTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CRACKED BLOCK TORQUING HEAD BOLTS
    Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 10:54am
I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF A 401 BUILD AND WHILE TORQUING MY FIRST HEAD I THINK I MAY HAVE CRACKED THE BLOCK.
AS I WAS GOING THROUGH FINAL TORQUE I HEARD A LOUD SNAPPING NOISE.
THE NOISE WAS MADE ON ITS OWN NOT WHEN I WAS TORQUING A BOLT.
HAS ANYONE HAD THS HAPPEN BEFORE?
USING ARP HEAD BOLTS. ALL BOLTS LUBED AND TORQUED IN 3 STEPS TO 100LBS PER THEIR SPECS.
AFFRAID TO PULL THE HEAD AS I ALREADY NOW WHAT TO EXPECT.
JUST CANT FIGURE WHY IT HAPPENED?
I HAVE BUILT SEVERAL ENGINES AND NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN.

1969 SC Rambler
1974 Jeep CJ5 Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 TH400
Tube Chassis Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 Powerglide
"We are not here for a long time but we are here for a good time"
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 11:29am
Man that sucks!!

I had a similar thing happen on the small block Chevy V8 in my dirt track car. After I finished (about 5 Min.) torqueing the heads I heard a "snap" sound. I found that one head bolt had broken while the engine was still just sitting there on the engine stand. They were just stock head bolts, but I had never seen that happen before.

Dennis    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
bvpotash1 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bvpotash1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 11:30am
It was probably was iron head cracking in the usual spot at the sharp edge on the ends. 
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 11:43am
Originally posted by bvpotash1 bvpotash1 wrote:

It was probably was iron head cracking in the usual spot at the sharp edge on the ends. 

It is more probable to have either the head cracked or bolt snapped.

Heads will crack if un evenly torqued in a special sequence and torque range. Just because ARP or any other manufacturer states a torque range, it does not mean that the heads are to be torqued out of spec.

I will search for proper torque and pattern sequences for AMC v8 heads.

They have been posted here in a few threads.

As for bolts snapping... probably 1 in 100000 due to manufacturing defect, too small under inspection. Can be hidden by a few threads, though you will be taking the head off, so if any snapped you should be able to notice.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 11:50am
Read Rebel Machine's reply section a few replies down...

http://theamcforum.com/forum/cracked-head_topic77437_page2.html
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 12:16pm
I will pull the head tonight and inspect.
Looked at the corners right after the noise was made but didn't appear cracked in that area. that was my first thought.
will let you know what I find out.
1969 SC Rambler
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 12:19pm
I did use the Performance American Style torque sequence.
Have used it on all my builds.

1969 SC Rambler
SKeown View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKeown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 12:25pm
 There have been reports like you'rs before, it turned out to be an inner (toward the lifter valley) bolt holes sheering off. I would go back over the bolts with the torque wrench, that should tell you what to be looking for.

Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 3:20pm
If you find that the bolt snapped then I would suspect knock-off ARP's and replace them all.  I don't know were you bought them from but ARP did have a problem a while back with foreign counterfeits and now you can only buy direct or from their approved suppliers.

j2sax View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j2sax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2016 at 6:16pm
One messy but important step that is often missed on older motors is to clean out the bolt holes.  Unfortunately, most machine shops used to do this, but it is not nearly as common today.  

Get a thread CLEANer/CHASER tap.. do NOT use a cutting tap!  
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-911-0005?seid=srese1&gclid=CKnfive2is0CFRNZhgod99QKZA

Use a good penetrating lube NOT a heavy oil (remember you are not cutting threads, only cleaning them)

Run the tap in a little... if you feel a lot of junk back it out, clean it off and repeat until you GENTLY reach the bottom of the hole.  

Remove the tap.  

Spray judicious amount of light penetrating oil down the hole.  
If you have a bottle brush that fits in the hole run it down and spin it around (not necessary, but helpful).  

Get a rag, safety glasses, welding helmet, body suit, breathing apparatus, etc.  shield the hole and blow it out with compressed air.  The most effective way is to have thin extension that goes all the way to the bottom of the hole and slowly bring it up while blowing out.  It will shock you how much nastiness comes out!  

Try to keep from getting anything on the surrounding block area or in the cylinder bores, but clean it all off before assembly.  

What often happens is all that crud gets forced to the bottom of the thread bore and compressed.  The Hydraulic pressure has broken many a block, though not as common with our engines

This sounds like a long process, but is not as long as it looks especially once you get it going... regardless, it is time well invested!  
j2sax@yahoo.com
Plenty of FSJ's Eagles and other AMC's near Springfield, MO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic