TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

CPP "the 500" steering box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPP "the 500" steering box
    Posted: Feb/17/2017 at 11:30am
Has anyone used the CPP 500 power steering box? Want to convert one of my cars to power steering. I have all stock components to do it. Just wondering if the there is any real performance advantage to the CPP box.

Jake
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2017 at 1:25pm
If you put in a quick ratio box, you'll love it. That was one of the best things I did to my Javelin. Makes it drive like a newer car.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2017 at 12:11pm
I bought one a couple of years ago, but haven't installed it yet. I should have known it was Chinese at the price, but the casting looks crude, even for them. I tried to return it, but he wouldn't accept "it looks like junk" as a reason, so I'm stuck with it.

So I'm installing it this winter and we'll see what happens.
SensibleSpectaculars View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SensibleSpectaculars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2017 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

If you put in a quick ratio box, you'll love it. That was one of the best things I did to my Javelin. Makes it drive like a newer car.

I put one in my '71 Ambassador, a Cardone rebuilt box meant for a 1970s Trans-Am. Overall it's great, but it has internal stops that limit travel so the turning radius is ridiculously large.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 6:47am
I used a quick box from a Spirit GT for my Matador
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 4:26pm
Are there any options for a 63 Ambo?
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by SensibleSpectaculars SensibleSpectaculars wrote:

Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I put one in my '71 Ambassador, a Cardone rebuilt box meant for a 1970s Trans-Am. Overall it's great, but it has internal stops that limit travel so the turning radius is ridiculously large.

This is the problem of using GM OE boxes in AMCs - the internal stops.  I sent my OE boxes from my Matador and Gremlin to RedHead steering gears in Washington for them to rebuild with quick ratio bits.  Now I have 2 quick ratio boxes - AND my turning circles on both cars are nice and tight, just like they should be.

I had them not put a red steering gear cap on mine so the boxes look exactly as they came from the factory.

Here's the link:  www.redheadsteeringgears.com
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 6:41pm
Yes, the GM box has stops but I had the AMC version built as a quick ratio so I don't have that issue either.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2017 at 7:18am
Before I went IFS, I used a quick ratio box from AGR. It worked great.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic