TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cost of paintjob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cost of paintjob
    Posted: May/25/2018 at 5:56am
Hi, I am about to get a 79 Spirit repainted. Original color, Russet Metallic, Absolutely NO rust repair needed, couple minor dents need straightening. I Was quoted $4500, for base/clear, and that's if I pull and reinstall all trim/bumpers, etc, myself.
The shop is professional, and has done good work for me before. Does this sound like a fair price?
thanks. gz
george z
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 6:38am
This is a case of you get what you pay for.
The primer/paint/clear will typically cost $1000. After that your into the detail/talent/finish/hours.
Paint jobs can cost $2000 to $20,000, all in the details.
If the shop has done good work that you have been pleased with them, they are likely quoting a little higher price then you expected as they want to show off their work on a car that is going to be "shown".
The price does not seem unreasonable to me.

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 6:47am
I've been a bodyman for over 40 years, (I seem to say that a lot, don't I )
I would never, EVER, give a estimate without looking at the car in person.
No pictures are good enough for a real estimate to mean anything either.

So i'm certainly wouldn't second guess another person's estimate, especially without even knowing the labor rate.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 7:43am
Originally posted by amcfool1 amcfool1 wrote:

Hi, I am about to get a 79 Spirit repainted. Original color, Russet Metallic, Absolutely NO rust repair needed, couple minor dents need straightening. I Was quoted $4500, for base/clear, and that's if I pull and reinstall all trim/bumpers, etc, myself.
The shop is professional, and has done good work for me before. Does this sound like a fair price?
thanks. gz

I asked three of the local shops what they would charge me to spray a primered body, that had all the blocking done, that had all the trim and glass removed, in BC-CC and all three were right at $15,000.  So if this is a shop that you have history with and were satisfied with the previous work, I'd say it is very fair.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 8:09am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I've been a bodyman for over 40 years, (I seem to say that a lot, don't I )
I would never, EVER, give a estimate without looking at the car in person.
No pictures are good enough for a real estimate to mean anything either.

So i'm certainly wouldn't second guess another person's estimate, especially without even knowing the labor rate.

All this!  Plus, remember that an estimate is.....an estimate.  When it winds up costing more, don't scream.  Because it will.  And you shouldn't. 

I've got well over $8500 in a repaint, which started out as a "$3500 a little surface rust, just a couple of door dings" estimate.  Old car repaints always escalate, because there's always hidden stuff that doesn't show itself until prep is underway.  If you want it right, prepare to fork over the Benjamins.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 10:32am
On the other end of the scale are those "economy" paint places (like Maaco) that will paint a car for $225-$500. Single stage acrylic paint. The paint itself isn't an issue, take care of it (wax 1-2 times a year, keep under a carport/garaged) and it will last 5-10 years. The level of preparation is the key. I've had a few cars painted by such shops, and the paint lasted as long as from a regular body shop. But I removed all the trim and wet sanded and do the body work I wanted before taking it. All they did was a final fine sanding and run a tack rag over it.

If you take it in with all the trim on it will either get masked poorly or sprayed over, and just enough sanding for the paint to stick. All dents and dings will stay, unless you pay extra to have them removed, so the $250 job becomes a $2500+ job fast. I had one done that had to have all the upper surfaces (roof, hood, trunk, tops of doors) sanded to bare metal due to fine cracks from a very old repaint. That was years ago when the "premium" paint job was about $200. Cost me $800 total, but car looked good for the next few years. 

If you want a show car you don't go that route. If you want an inexpensive paint job it's an option. Just do the body work (or most of it) yourself. Those guys can spray better than I can even if they've only been there a few days -- they spray several cars every day, so that's more practice than I've had. I've sprayed primer and the interior surfaces (inside door jambs, dash, etc.), but never the outside of a car for that reason.Looks good for a few years until you can afford a better pain job if nothing else. Otherwise it's $5000+ for a good paint job. so the $4500 you were quoted I'd say is good.
Frank Swygert
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 12:00pm
You get what you pay for. Good paint work is not cheap and cheap paint work is not good.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 12:03pm
thank you, gentlemen, I'm going to go with it. gz
george z
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 1:40pm
4500 is about correct for that size car .. plus you want to install the trim yourself. 
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 4:39pm
I will just agree with others here... you get what you pay for. and in many cases you dont get what you pay for as well.   I have seen shops turn out awesome products for people and also seen there work on other vehicles and scratched my head thinking .... I thought they did better work than that.  Prep work is so important   if its not prepped correctly then a finish will never be quality 
   but again to agree with the others if you had work done by them before and were happy . you are the one that needs to be pleased so Go for it
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic