TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Correct wheel size for a 67 Ambo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct wheel size for a 67 Ambo
    Posted: Aug/09/2018 at 9:56pm
I am changing the wheels on my 67 Ambo and have found a set i like but i do not know if they will fit without rubbing the suspension. They are 15x7 with a 4.25 backspace.

Anyone have experience with this?
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 10:16am
Most 7" wheels will fit, but you may need spacers with that deep backset. Cars in the 60s generally used near centered wheels -- 3.5"-3.75" for 7" wheels. If you just need a little more space you can space out the spindle instead. That would require longer spindle bolts and washers to space the spindle and brake backing plate (or disc brake bracket) further out. You must use grade 8 bolts and washers, not ungraded. Graded bolts and washers are specific strength and hardness, and washers uniform thickness. You an use 1/8" and maybe 1/4" slip on spacers without requiring new wheel lugs as well. You will have to test fit a wheel with a tire and see if it rubs, then determine how much you need to space it out to prevent rubbing, if any. I'd want at least 1/4" between tire and steering knuckle or upper trunnion. If you need an inch or more bolt on spacers are pretty reasonably priced.
Frank Swygert
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2018 at 9:36pm
Thanks. Is that Frank Swigert?

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2018 at 5:44am
That's me...

Frank Swygert
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 4:46pm
apparently there isn't as much space in the wheel wells as we all think.  I got 15x7 with 4 25 backspace and installed 1" spacers and it still seems there is gonna be a problem with rubbing on the coil spring lower arm.  Going to try my 215/70R14 tomorrow before i go buying a set of tires that won't fit.  

mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2019 at 4:51pm
First is of 185/65R14 that is on it now, second is of 15x7 without a tire on it.  Does anyone here have 15x7s on their late 60s car?  If so, what size tires are you running and what upper clearance do you have?

Thanks

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 6:31am
15x7 works fine. Largest tire is going to be either a 205 or 215 width, 65-75 series. The 4.25" backspacing might be a problem though. The old wheels were closer to centered, 3-3/4" backset is the most common for the 60s 7" mag wheels. I know those fit. You might need to use a 1" or 3/4" spacer with the 4.25" backset wheels.  3/4" inch is as thin as you can go for the bolt-on spacers.

Edited by farna - Jan/18/2019 at 6:38am
Frank Swygert
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 8:09am
I have 1" spacers.  Will test it this morning with a 215/70R14 I have here.

67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2019 at 12:25am
As farna said, it's not the wheel width but the backspacing. The stock wheel is 14x5.5 and the BS is 3.75 inches. My Marlin has the same front end as your Ambo. I bought 15x7 AMC "rally" wheels and no cigar. No problem on the rear, so I went with 14x6 rally wheels on the front, which have the same 3.75 BS as the factory wheels. The factory wheels don't allow much clearance, I've got about 3/16." I have disc brakes up front, maybe there was more clearance with drums. Assuming the 15x7 has 4.25 BS. I have 215/70 tires on with the 3.75 BS 14-inch wheels. If you go with spacers to push your deep BS wheels farther from the suspension, you're still not out of the woods. Depending on the tire, you could have bulge over the rim. And/or tire height could result in contact.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic