TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Coolant leak question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 7:47am
Any problem a seller has with what he's selling always seems to be an "easy fix" for a buyer.  If it was so "easy" why doesn't the seller take care of it?  Sorry for the sarcasm but this is a real sore point with me. 
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ChillyB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChillyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 8:09am
Dad was looking to sell his CJ5.  Had a rough idle, and it wouldnt go into 4L (would be in 2L, which shouldnt even happen).  Told him if I was a buyer I wouldnt give his Jeep a moment of consideration, even though the issues were an easy fix.  So I spent an afternoon with him dialing in the carb and clearancing the shifter cutout in the fiberglass tub so the shifter had room to go fully into position. 

As a seller you absolutely have to eliminate these supposedly simple things that require explanation and apology.  Just fix it.  If the engine seller wont fix a simple thing then assume its a big thing and work down the price.  If he doesnt like that then he can fix the simple thing.

1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 11:32am
Thanks for your help everyone. It wasn't meant to be. The guy tried conning me into a bidding war with another seller... (Who probably didn't even exist)... Even though we had agreed to terms the day before... And on top  of it...he also told me I was first in line. So now it doesn't matter anyway. 

Oh well. Regardless... you guys gave me more info to think about when looking at engines... and I appreciate it a lot.

Also... I agree with you guys... The seller should've been willing to fix it... Especially since it wasn't mentioned in the ad for the engine... I just didn't get to that point to use it as a possible bargaining chip... No worries now...

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 11:38am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Any problem a seller has with what he's selling always seems to be an "easy fix" for a buyer.  If it was so "easy" why doesn't the seller take care of it?  Sorry for the sarcasm but this is a real sore point with me. 
Yes.  I agree. And Ive gotten stuff cheaper. I tell them like it is
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Agreed. No offense taken.
Bruce Clarkson View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Clarkson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2019 at 7:03pm
FYI I had a similar problem and ended up pulling the timing chain cover on my 343. A bit of a pain since all the stuff on the front od the engine had to come off. Hopefully you require less.

Bruce Clarkson
Bruce Clarkson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic