TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converting to Trendsetters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting to Trendsetters
    Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 8:39am
My 70 came with the rocker panel chrome simulated exhaust chrome trime.  I am converting to Trendsetters.  My questions are this:

1)  Do I need to fill the holes in the fenders and rocker panels where the trim previously mounted?  Assume the trendsetter rails mount in different holes?

2)  How can I tell if the simulated exahust rocker moldings I have are OEM or repop?  Was there an AMC part number on the originals?  I plan to put these up for sale but want to ensure I advertise them correctly.

Thanks!

Doug
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/06/2017 at 9:43am
Doug,

1. Not saying this is 100%, but all the AMX and Javelin Simulated Side Exhaust Panels I have had were all in bags, with paper part number tag stapled to the bag.
2. I have put Trendsetters on several 68-71 AMX's and Javelins....the holes for the OE Panels will be covered by the cover mounting rail, so no need to try and plug holes, they are not hurting anything.  The clips that hold the simulated covers on are pop rivets, where as the Trendsetters use Oval Head Countersunk screws.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2017 at 1:02am
 For what it's worth when hooking up the actual pipes.
 You may want to consider fabbing up some heavier gauge brackets. The installation kits that come with the new repop side pipes are pretty light weight and flimsy and those mufflers are actually quite heavy.
Also, it is highly recommended that a flex coupler be installed somewhere between the exhaust manifold and the front inlet of each muffler. This will help provide some isolation between the rigid body and the normal movement/flex of the engine. For without which, stress cracking can occur to the manifold/header.
Good luck with your project. Trend Setters/Sidewinders do look and sound great. Maybe post some pics when finished?
Bruce

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:21pm
Ross and Bruce, thanks for your suggestions.

Any idea what muffler most are using?  Will be a 390 automatic, with free flows, 291C heads, Lunati Voodoo 262/268 advertised (220/226 at .050).

Considering 2.25 inlet and outlet glass pack, like the Patriot H3014 which is 31 inches long overall.  Or perhaps the H3015 which is 35 overall.  Just not sure how they sound vs others.
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 7:41am
Just be aware that it will make the ride a bit more "noisy" as my wife puts it. The radio just becomes an ornament. Don't plan on a cross country trip with out some ear buds...
SC
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Just be aware that it will make the ride a bit more "noisy" as my wife puts it. The radio just becomes an ornament. Don't plan on a cross country trip with out some ear buds...

Big smileBig smileBig smile

Exactly as it should be!
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 6:38pm
I used rubber bushings (old sway bar link rubbers if I recall) between the mounting brackets and the rocker panels and haven't and haven't had any issues yet. 12 years on the 70 and 7 on the 73.

70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
RentedDreams View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RentedDreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2017 at 1:00pm
Doug,

Where did you get your trendsetters?  I have a '70 AMX that is dying for a pair but I haven't been able to find a set?

thanks
Ron
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2017 at 5:03pm
I bought them at the Kenosha Homecoming.  Rick, from Missouri, had a booth.  Believe his company is American Heavy Metal.  Name on here is Madmax

Not sure if he has any more repop sets or not.  He only had the covers and rails, but that's what is hard to find.
AMXTSY View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXTSY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Just be aware that it will make the ride a bit more "noisy" as my wife puts it. The radio j
just becomes an ornament. Don't plan on a cross country trip with out some ear buds...

If memory serves, (please correct me if I am wrong) the original Trendsetter/Sidewinder pipes came with chambered mufflers that were totally obnoxious. The new repop sets have flow-through units and are much easier on the ears. The front black plastic shield is also much better quality and less resistant to melting.

I do know that as of last June, Jeff Kennedy was selling a very nice complete kit (less the head pipes) for $450.00. Each componet could also be purchased separately. I don't know if they're still in stock. But, other AMC vendors like Galvin's or American Parts Depot may possibly have them as well.  Bruce

LATE THOUGHT:  Andre Jacobs at South Texas AMC also has some advertised on their website.
Hope this helps.  BC

Bruce Carothers
Champaign County, Il.
AMO # 9928
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic